News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fluid questions on 1995 Tiger I just purchased

Started by Midwestguy2, March 24, 2010, 02:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midwestguy2

I just bought a manual for the 1995 Tiger and it suggest to use Mobil 4 racing synthetic oil. Kind of expensive, is it worth doing? I thought I would go ahead and change the coolant as well. Now the manual is not real clear on what to use here other than a 50/50. I have a new gallon of premix Prestone Dexcool. Will that work ok?  Thanks for reading.

Mustang

Quote from: "Midwestguy2"I just bought a manual for the 1995 Tiger and it suggest to use Mobil 4 racing synthetic oil. Kind of expensive, is it worth doing? I thought I would go ahead and change the coolant as well. Now the manual is not real clear on what to use here other than a 50/50. I have a new gallon of premix Prestone Dexcool. Will that work ok?  Thanks for reading.

Oil can be a pretty intense topic on a message board ..........Autozone sells Mobil 1 MX4T 10 w 40 that is almost Identical to the triumph branded stuff and is 9 bucks a qt , you can get oil filters from wal mart or VIP they are Fram 6012 , ebay has lots of people selling oil filters for the 95's also
a guy in CA on ebay does 3 for 15 bucks

Also shell Rotella T in the Blue jug at walmart is a good oil to use , it's full synth and is 20 some odd bucks a gallon
the 95's really really like a full synthetic oil ..............

the anti freeze you have will work fine , there are two drain plugs for the coolant .........first one is at the base of the cylinders on the left hand side and the second is the top front bolt on the water pump

Midwestguy2

Once again thanks. I rode this bike on the interstate for a few miles yesterday. It is one of the best bikes I have ever owned. Very smooth and it feels like it has more horsepower than it is rated for. I do ride some gravel roads and dirt roads and I have some concern about that. I had a KLR 650 prior and it was a handlefull on secondary roads. Hoping I will be satisfied with this Tiger offroad as well. Time will tell.

nightrunner

I was under the impression that Mobil stopped making the MX4T and is pushing the Racing 4T in its place.   Autozone has carried it in the past but stopped (in my town anyway).  Walmart carries the 4T, but I saw the other day where they had it red-tagged so who knows.

I have heard about the Rotella but have not tried it yet.  There is a thread here about it.  I think Sasquatch posted some details about it.

On filters I hate Fram.  STP and Purolator both make a filter for the steamer.   There is a site, which I cant find now, where the guy cuts open various brands of filters to look at the build quality.  The differences are substantial between brands.   Fram is clearly low-end quality on the inside.

Welcome to the group.  Yeah Tigers are pretty addictive.  Read up here.  Keep and ear out for DAR, and never continue to crank the engine n a weak battery (sprag clutch).

Cheers
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Mustang

Quote from: "nightrunner"I was under the impression that Mobil stopped making the MX4T and is pushing the Racing 4T in its place.  
Cheers

oops ....... I am so used to calling it MX4T , I slipped up . It is the "racing oil " now ,but it's still the same stuff just renamed . and the V Twin Mobil 1 you can get at auto zone is the same only in a different flavor  20/50 weight .

Rotella T works really well also , If I am lacking for xtra cash I use the rotella if I am feeling rich I buy the Mobil 1 . I have used either many times
But I do think the oil pressure is a little better with the mobil 1 (I have a pressure gauge on tigger )

nightrunner

What has me curious is that they used to offer BOTH the MX4T and the Racing 4T.  On their site they claim they renamed MX4T to Racing 4T.  Was it the same stuff to begin with in two different bottles?
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Mustang

from the Mobil 1 web site

QuoteWhy did you change the name of Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40 to Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40? Is the product formulation different?
Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40 was renamed because the product is known as Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 outside the US.  Be assured that no changes to the Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40 formulation occurred during this name change. Same great product, new name.