News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

trouble cold starting

Started by delecti, May 18, 2011, 12:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delecti

Hi guys,
having trouble at startup with not running properly will start up ok but not idling and stalling, one moving is hesitating before getting going when getting on the gas, as if the ecu isnt compensating making the mix rich the startup mix. seems ok when warmed up.
Ive checked the resistance on all the sensors except the tps due to no figure given and the need for it to be calabrated, where on spec the coil plug caps were 0.4ohms and not 0.7-0.9 but they were all the same asume they ok. Im suspecting the tps.
can anyone help me with this.
thanks
Mark
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?

Bixxer Bob

Why would you think it's the TPS if it's only playing up when cold  :?

Before you go changing anything you have to be sure the basics are right.  When was it last serviced?  You need to be sure that the valve clearances are right, the air filter is clean, and the throttle bodies are balanced (do these last as the others will affect them) and the battery is good.   A weak battery will give you many problems.

Once you know you are starting from a good base you can look for other stuff.  As it's only cold running you have problems with you need to set yourself up with Tune ECU (read the stickys for how) and read what the sensors are doing.  That will give you a good steer.

Assuming everything else is ok though, my guess is your engine temp sensor is playing up and is not enrichening the mix when cold.  You can check it by putting a voltmeter across it as it warms up and watch for the volts changing (I can't remember if they rise or fall but it'll soon be obvious).
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

delecti

Thanks for the reply,
I serviced it at 60000km as per book (64000km on clock now) balanced carbies checked and changed 7 shims to spec cleaned air filter (k & N filter fitted) new fuel filter and i dont have tuneboy as I have been happy with the triumph tune for the triumph not for the road exaust.
It did start to play up when i took it on a 4km run at 160km/h to clean the cobwebs out.  but cant see why this would trigger cold weather start prob? radiator flushed and 50% castrol radiator coolant added no over heating problems as per manual.
I have checked the ohm resistance on the sensors and they meet the values in the haynes manual.
any other suggestions would be appreciated it isnt running an error no engine warning coming up.
Havent given it a 12 minute tune, worth a try?
your
Mark
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?

Timbox2

I'd be looking at the IACV valve/motor/hoses, or maybe just reload a map.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Tim's input is correct but I was trying to take it a step at a time based on the problem only being cold running.  IACV issues would affect hot as well.

You say the sensor value is correct by the Haynes manual, but is it responding to temp changes?  If so, the other quick check - especially as you've had it apart, is the tube from the airbox to the ECU running down the right side of the frame.  Make sure it's not trapped under the tank base (don't ask  :oops: ) and that it's properly sealed at the elbow going into the airbox.  You might not think the grommet matters but it does.  Also, make sure it's pushed fully home at the ECU with no leaks. (DON'T blow down it!!!! you can suck on it though).  This tube allows the ECU to sense air pressure changes in the airbox and adjust the fuel accordingly.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Tim's input is correct but I was trying to take it a step at a time based on the problem only being cold running.  IACV issues would affect hot as well.

Thing is BB, I know what your saying should be, but It was the same with mine before I replaced the motor, once warm it was OK, go figure?
2016 Tiger Sport

delecti

thanks guys,
I checked the airbox pressure hose it wasnt kinked it was ok, I will try a new download on thursday and do a 12min tuneup. the water temp, airbox, lambda is there any other sensors that I havent checked?
Mark
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?