News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel pump given up the ghost

Started by akey, April 06, 2010, 10:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akey

It seems the fuel pump on my 02 Girly has just given up the ghost.

Got 11v at the connector but no noise from the pump and no start from the bike  :shock:

worked fine after I fitted the new exhaust this morning but then tonight nothing.

Anyone seen this before?

EvilBetty

What brand exhaust?

:oops: kidding...

Clean the crap out of the connector.  I had one that looked fine wasn't working but after I doused it with electrical contact cleaner it worked fine.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

akey

Blue flame mate, sounded lovely to.

Will try some lithium grease in the connector tomorrow morning mate thanks for the tip.

akey

The plot thickens with the fuel pump.  Went out to the bike this morning and after a few tries the pump is now working fine.

All I did was to add a bit more fuel in the tank, but there should have been pleanty in there as I had only done 169 miles since fueling.

I will get her up and running later today and fill with fuel and check the pump a few times during the day.

Any other ideas as to why this happened appreciated.

Mustang

The pump will probably give up again , I have seen this pattern before on other vehicles with fuel injection . The pump usually quits at the most inopportune times and then starts working fine again .

when it quit working was it after the bike had been running for awhile ?
now after it has had a long cool down period, it is fine right ?

If it quits again after it has been running awhile and then is able to work after it cools down ...........you need a new fuel pump

and as you were low on gas the fuel pump showed its achilles heel to heat as the pump would not have been submerged in cool fuel

akey

Cheers for the reply.

The bike had cooled down prior to the failure, it had been stopped for 5 hours or more, so it definatly wasnt a heat issue.

It didnt spin up first thing this morning, after spraying the connection with lithium grease and putting some more fuel in it started working again.

oxnsox

When you saw 11volts at the connector was the engine running???  11v is low.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

akey

Bike wasnt running, had 12.5 at  the batt.

Have tested it a few times today and it seem fine, so I am putting it down to either a bad connection and low volts or lack of fuel, fingers crossed it stays OK.

Worst case, I use recovery to get me home and use my lifetime warrenty to get it fixed  8)

Thanks for all the comments guys.