News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Keihin Carb help

Started by GavD, May 24, 2010, 05:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavD

Hey,

I'm a noob to this site, but not to my Steamer. Bought her in '02 she's a 98 with keihins. Various trips around France and Spain on her then she was demoted to commuting purposes and generally neglected. Laid her up in '07 and am now getting her running again.
Fitted TT600 coils and have now had the Carbs off a couple of times to get them cleaned up. She idles ok, but has a bit of a cough and a flutter at 2-3 thou. Revs ok after 3 thousand. pretty sure its the pilot circuit causing problems but we'll see when i get em back on. Have read a few threads about re-jetting but at the moment I want to get her running ok as standard then think about it. My problem is I wanted to check the float heights. Read my Haynes manual and it says tip the carbs back until the needle valve is seated but plunger is not compressed, measure from carb body face to bottom of float. Book says it should be 14.5mm, mine are all exactly the same at 18.5mm. If i bent the tab to make them 14.5 then the floats would not have enough travel to fully depress the plunger.
Anyone know what they should be on Keihins?
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

coachgeo

There has been a good bit of talk in here about float levels.  did you search?
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Mustang

I think you are measuring wrong possibly..............
I believe the haynes manual is expecting you to be holding the carb upside down when you measure
the stumble off idle iss a dirty pilot circuit ....not just the pilot jet but the little passageway in the carb is probably blocked with oxidation from the aluminum body from setting for so long a period of time without use .

carb cleaner and compressed air

GavD

I am measuring it as per the manual, "tilt body back until needle valve is seated but spring loaded tip is not compressed". I've measured again and got the same results. They just seem so far out from what the book says that makes me think the book is just for Mikuni's. The little metal tabs that push on the valve are completely flatwith their mounting which you would assume to be correct.
I've trawled through other threads but not found anything specific on Keihin float levels. i must admit though I'm new to the site and probably don't know how best to use the search,

NeilD

I had a look on the triumphrat site and they reckon 17.5mm is the stock setting for Keihins... quite a lot of iofn on Kehins over there on the T3 Classics range section of the site as Kehins used on a lot of the later range, whereas Mikunis more common on the Steamer Tigers...
Welcome to the forum by the way!

GavD

Thanks guys much appreciated.