News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel maps

Started by Bixxer Bob, April 27, 2010, 09:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Since changing the TPS and solving the jerky low revs issue I thought I'd try swapping some fuel maps today.  I have been running a heavily modified and smoothed aftermarket tune but decided to go a different route.  The current map has all the alterations done in the fuel map so I thought I'd go back to basics.  

I pulled up a standard aftermarket can map and instead of changing the fuel map, I changed the air/fuel ratio map.  To explain briefly what this does, the ECM looks at the engine load, throttle position and air temp and pressure and that gives it a reference point on the fuel map.  It then extrapolates that value using a corresponding reference value in the air / fuel ratio map to produce  the time the injectors should open in milliseconds to deliver the required fuel.  I've missed out a lot of other stuff such as ign timing calculations to keep it simple.  The ideal air / fuel mix for an internal combustion engine running on petrol is 14.7 to 1, whereas best power is produced by a slightly rich mix at 13 to one.  So all I did was change any values that were over 13.5 to 13.5 and leave all the others the same.  Mostly these were in the low to midrange ie 1/4 to 3/4 throttle and up to 6000 rpm.

The results were mixed.  The midrange drive is noticeably improved, pulling really hard around 4-6000 rpm but the old popping on overrun is back with a vengance and the choppy throttle is back too although not as bad as before I changed the TPS.

So next map will have today's A/F settings, but adopt some of my earlier work on the old problems and see how it goes. :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

EvilBetty

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

iansoady

Hi Bob.

Have you tried Wayne's adjusted A/F map on T595.net (http://www.triumphtorque.com/kb/maps/family/5-Tiger.aspx)? I used that as a base and it was excellent (standard can although there's another there for aftermarket). I've since tweaked it a bit to keep the ECU in open loop (ie A/F <> 14.5) except when idle and load < 25%.

Very smooth indeed on my 04.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

I'll have a look thanks!!

You have a PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...