News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What WILL break?

Started by Nimrod11, May 03, 2010, 07:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimrod11

Given my recent Sunday ruined by the fuel connectors breaking, I am starting this discussion to know who will suggest things that WILL break on Girlies.

Fuel connectors are one, fuel sender is another. Perhaps the alternator fix is another suggestion of things you should do to avoid problems.

What else?
----------
Tiger 2004

Goober

1.  Although it hasn't happened to me (knock on wood) the stator/regulator have been known to go bad.  I do a lot of remote touring in Europe, so when I go on long trips I always bring a spare set with me just in case.

2.  The stupid plastic elbows on the coolant expansion tank.  Broke mine while putting the fairing on.  

3.  The PO overtightened the screw on the left hand plastic blinker mount.  The one that screws into the tank.  It cracked the plastic mount and it has since been epoxied together.

Other than bearings and other normal wear items, not any other problems for 36k miles on my 05.
2005 Silver Tiger

John Stenhouse

Did 10500 miles round Alaska in 08 only problem I had was the same a s Fishbones. That and a set of tyres and a set of brake pads.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

jonathan jaecks

Not sure what will break...positive what has.  After breaking two chain guards, went to a rear hugger/chain guard no problems since.

The RR/stator thing has me a bit spooked.  Sword of Damocles sort of thing.

macgart

I've done over 12k miles in the last year over lots of rough dirt roads and mountain passes.  The only failure I've had has been a leak on the fuel sending unit.  This required replacement.  The bad is that the new sending unit sticks on occasion.  The original never did.

Other than that, normal wear items.  I did replace the metal fuel fittings last winter.  Not too bad; they lasted 10 years w/o leaking or breaking.
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/

EvilBetty

Done 11K.  No problems at all, except I have a thirsty tiger (oil consumption) working on getting that sorted.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Nimrod11

How worried should I be about the RR and alternator? I feel that's a weak point of the bike... just put in a new battery this week. Let's see if that holds better.
----------
Tiger 2004

EvilBetty

Not everyone has the voltage / charging issues.  I would say the majority of us is on our stock charging parts.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD