News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My Valve Adjustment Story So Far: Could Use Some Advice?

Started by Colonel Nikolai, November 07, 2010, 05:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"So did you do the helicoil yourself or did you pass it over? :)

The helicoil work needs to get done on the 1996 Sprint, not the Tiger. I sent the cam cap to Mustang to get redone. He's going to do one better than Helicoil: it'll be a steel thread insert.

I learned on the Sprint. The Tiger went smoothly: I actually ran into the same issue on the Tiger, but this time I was prepared. I didn't keep turning. I backed it out and reseated the cover (just gave it a little nudge with the heel of my hand) and it went right in the second time. The big difference: I knew how a cross-thread feels and I knew to back it out instead.

It's really easy to cross thread valve-cover bolts on these bikes! It can turn 3-4 times and hitch just a tiny bit and boom! You blew it! So easy does it and if you're not sure, don't keep going!
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Colonel Nikolai

I received Mustang's repaired cam cap with the steel insert valve cover thread! Very sophisticated. :applause: thanks again Mustang!

And now it's done! Ran it until the fans kicked in and shut her off. Looks good, no leaks, runs well.

Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.