News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

pannier mounting points?

Started by BruKen, July 16, 2010, 11:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

I may be at a loose end this weekend so have given some thought to welding up some panniers and ali boxes. I had a look about for some examples that I could pirate the architecture of and found only an example of Hepco Becker. These worried me a bit because they kind of look as though they use the rear light mounting plates as a stress member. Does anybody have a set that could tell me where they all mount?

I'd have liked to use the exhaust mounting holes but as they form the centre line of the baffles and not the side I am concerned that any pipe work there would stress the neccessary bend, even if I could bend a pipe around it which is dubious. All other viable mounting points are on gussets and I think I'll leave those alone before drilling holes in them :D

BruKen

Photos would be superb btw.... I lack imagination 8)

GavD

I've seen a set that hang off the top of the rack - the one that has bolts fixing the rack top plate to the arms. It pannier rack then bolted somewhere to the frame further forward just to provide stability as the weight was being held by the rear rack.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

BruKen

That's a good idea that, I'll have a look and see if that clears the baffles. Thanks :)

BruKen

Oops while doing the finishing gussets to the pannier frame my TIG stopped working. None of the trip switches had gone but the mains just at the point before the electricity meter were arcing across merrily. Wasn't me sir......

JetdocX

I think they use one of the passenger footpegs for a forward mount point.  Your electric company must love you to death! :lol:
From parts unknown.

BruKen

When I called Scottish Power to tell them the good news they were here in 5 minutes.....best response I ever got :D . Misereable bastards have unplugged my garage tho and are sending me a bill for a new electricity meter saying the house was wired illegally. Wasn't even my wiring job :( House came like this :( ...... But every cloud has a silver lining... Apparantly my garage was also bypassing the meter so was getting free leccy and my TIG is a thirsty girl :D

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "BruKen"... Apparantly my garage was also bypassing the meter so was getting free leccy and my TIG is a thirsty girl :D

That's what I call Scottish Power  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint