News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Greetings All

Started by jnutiger, July 19, 2010, 06:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnutiger

Thanks to all on this site.  I've been lurking for quite some time, picking up information while trying to decide on whether to pick up a Tiger or V-Strom.  Your knowledge and information has been incredibly helpful.

Decided on the Tiger and picked up a 2006 two weeks ago in Reno.  Spent six days working my way up to Seattle, where she is parked in a hangar waiting for my return.  Next week it's Idaho and Montana.  Mid August she'll be heading home to Juneau.  I couldn't more happy.

The only issue I had on my 1,200 mile journey was a loose front sprocket.  I have to believe it came from the factory that way.  After speaking to the original owner, he said he had never had it off during the 5,000 miles he put on the bike.  The locking tab on the 36mm bolt looked like it had only been bent down once.  No screwdrive marks of any type.

The bike came with stock panniers as well as a set of Jesse bags.  Heated grips and a center stand where the only other option on the bike.  I dropped by Touratech when I arrived in Seattle and picked up a set of crash bars and a sump guard.  Thanks to this site I understand the sump guard will need to be modified slightly in order to fit, due to the stock center stand.

I had the 6,000 mile inspection/buyer purchase done in Reno by Freedom  Cycle. They are the local Triumph dealer and a great group of people.   With only 12 hours heads up, they fit me in first thing in the morning and I was on my way northbound by lunch.

Have to love 50 mpg even with the Jesse bags and 40 lbs of gear.  Oil consumption was zero as best as I could tell.  Have I mentioned I'm Happy.

Once again, thanks to all on this site.  I hope to be able to contribute in some manor in the near future.  Also, I'll attempt to post a picture or two soon.
2006 Tiger

BigMark

Hello and Welcome,

You couldn't have gone wrong with either choice of them there mechanical donkeys, both only attractive to those who fancy Barbra Streisand anyways!  5,000 miles !!!! Gosh what did he use it for, well nothing clearly...  Never heard of that problem before, did you count the teeth to see for certain it hasn't been D.I.Y upgraded to lower revs?
Most guys never need to fill up there oil between services. I have never put a drop in mine in 30+ thousand miles in between.

Photos ?

aeronca

welcome aboard, and congrats on the new bike 8) .  hey if your really concered about the sprocket, and want to try and tighten it up - i have a 36mm socket and torque wrench you could use. let me know, i work down at seatac airport and could  meet you some where and let you use the tools.     eric
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

KuzzinKenny

Hey jnutiger !! Welcome to TT.com !! i had the ( loose front sprocket ) a while ago when i was checkin the chain and sprockets for wear.  :shock:  i think your right ( came from the factory that way ) as i`ve had mine from new !!

A Tigger with 5,000 miles on it, is only just run in  :thumbsup

have fun !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

jphish

jnutiger - congrats! I also got an 06 (silver) last year with 3300 mi on the clock. Go figure... but good for us. The ride to Juneau should be a great trip. Enjoy your new kitty - good choice. (I will also check my front sprocket - thanks for the tip) TTFN, j

jnutiger

Hello all

Thanks for the warm welcome

Eric, thank you very much for the offer, but i was able to tighten up the nut when staying with friends on the trip North.  The Tiger is at Boeing Field.  I'm in and out of there a few times a week.

BigMark, the sprocket is original and with 18 teeth.  The lock tab however is different in design than what is shown in the genuine shop manual that came with the bike.  Depicted in the manual is a lock tab with multiple fingers.  My "lock tab" is better described as a "lock disc".  No tabs on it, looks like an over sized washer.  Made of soft metal so that you can bend it over as you would a tab to lock in the nut.

jphish, the first time I checked the Sprocket with my hand, I could not move it and assumed that it was torqued properly.  I'm guessing that this was due to the rotation of the output shaft on the nut.  Even with the lock disc bent over on the nut,  there was still the possibility of a couple of degrees of movement.   In gear, the nut would tighten up on the shaft just slightly, as it should, due to the counter clockwise rotation.  I'd suggest bending the lock tab up and put a socket or wrench on it to see if you can loosen it with just a few pounds of pressure.  That, or if you have torque wrench and a 36mm/1 7/16 socket, you could check it and make sure it's torqued to 132Nm.   I was able to loosen the nut by putting the bike up on the center stand and attempting to rotate the rear tire while the engine was in gear (forcing the sprocket and nut counterclockwise on the shaft). End result was the locking disc did it's job and so far, I can find no damage.

As per the pictures, I have a Photobucket account but had no luck at posting.  I did read the sticky and will retry today.

Thanks
2006 Tiger

Mustang

jnutiger

Holy Crap!

That was so simple, even I could do it.  Thanks Mustang.

Crater Lake last week.
2006 Tiger

jphish

jnutiger - Nice caspian Blue! I can see fish in the tank. Good thing you still had your snow tires on - got a late start to summer here. Anyway - since you checked it by hand & seemed ok - what caused you to suspect a loose nut ?  Noise,  vibration or...?  Just curious. Have a safe trip home - you live in a nicely landscaped part of the world. Doing the Dempster next year with my Pal from Anchorage, incentive to finally get my Tourtech crashbars on this year. Or as my wife refers to them -"heavy duty curb feelers". TTFN, j

blacktiger

I wouldn't worry about the sprocket nut being very easy to remove. Mine was the same at 24K.
I was expecting a fight to get it off when I wanted to fit a 19T but it felt like it was finger tight. No damage though so I'm guessing that's because it's a very fine thread it just seems that way. Now, being a very fine thread, it also easy to get the correct torque on the nut when refitting.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

aeronca

look's good, safe trip north 8)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

jnutiger

jphish,  You'll love the Dempster.  I've been running it since 1993 and in each case, as I'm leaving, I just want to turn around and do it again.  I'll be on it for a week starting the 1st of September.  No bike, but my Land Cruiser, wife and our two goldens. The picture is just one of over 900 we took during our 2007 Dempster run. I filled in my contact information on the "free beer..." sticky, so if you can make it to Juneau you have a place to stay. Feel free to shoot me an email or PM if you have any Dempster questions.  Same goes for everyone else.

Regarding the sprocket,  there was an intermittent  ticking noise that I pin pointed coming from behind the sprocket cover.  Turned out to be the chain needing lube.  I pulled the cover off and cleaned the dirt/oil that had packed in on the cover and behind the sprocket.  With the cover off,  I rotated the tire in a forward direction in order to lube the chain, but had left it in gear.  As I did so, my friend saw the nut turn while the shaft remained stationary.

Skagway to Inuvik 2007

2006 Tiger

jphish

Turning nut not good! This is bike maint weekend, so I'm putting 'nut' on the list of things to check. Also thanks for your kind offer - I would provide sufficient warning of pending arrival, so you could be conveniently "out of town". Made it to Yellow knife last year, enroute to Yukon, before my rear shock blew, and turned Uly into a pogostick - taking Tiger next time. Love that 'shield' country!  Have fun on your land cruiser adventure - taking a fishing rod perchance ?