News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine oil level

Started by Jim Thomison, November 09, 2006, 04:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flux

Just to resurrect this thread and confuse people even more than they already are... changed the oil on my 02 tonight and started with 4 quarts which is roughly 3.7 liters... and added a little more.  I reckon I got close to 4 liters and everything checks out fine.

whisperquiet

One more time.....I just bought a used 2006 Tiger---checked the oil several times in the last couple of weeks and it was in the middle of the hash marks when checked.

I changed it out yesterday....filter, oil, on the center stand when warm, and let it drain for a long time.....rocked the bike left and right to get as much oil out as possible.  It looked to be about 3 qts that drained out.

The 2005 copyrighted owner's manual says 4 liters of oil with a filter change and I  did this.   Checked it after a ride today and it was about 1" over the top hash mark line and I removed 750cc of oil to get it to the proper place on the dip stick.  It was checked on the centerstand with the dipstick fully screwed in.

I know the 06 Girly is a transition year for the new 1050 cases.....so, what is the correct fill for this year with an oil filter change??

It seems that the owner's manual information may be wrong (I own a KLR so I know of owner's manual errors).

Clear me up on this..........

KuzzinKenny

Hey whisperquiet !! i never measure the oil i put in my bike, i just keep filling it till its at the top of the hash marks, thats where it should be for full !!

the bike should be on its wheels when checkin the level !! altho it wont be to far off on the centre stand !! its good you took some oil out as to much oil can cause other problems    :shock:

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

whisperquiet

KK,

Thanks for the info.......I think the bike should be running 3.2 liters like the 1050 Tigers do since the '06 Tiger has the 1050 cases.  Anyway, the oil level is correct as I removed about 750cc..........I poured 4 liters, removed 3/4 liter, and it has approximately 3.25 liters in it now.  I'll ride it tomorrow and check it on level ground with the tires on the ground.

Thanks

Mustang

whisperquiet

Quote from: "Mustang"http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,6891&highlight=oil+level

this is why ......................

That is like changing the red zone on a temperature gauge because the bike is overheating.

I am going to run the 3.2 liters with filter change..........I rode the bike 1400 miles after purchasing it and the old oil level was midpoint on the hash marks the 6 or 7 times I checked it before the change out.  It never varied so the previous owner must have run it at 3.2 liters or so also.

jphish

Thanks Mustang!! - nothing like a long memory coupled with institutional knowledge. So to sum it up: those of us with the 05 & 06 tigers with the 5 1/4" dipstick (measured from O ring to full mark - which is whats in MY 06) should figure on about 3.25 Qts to fill? That will save me some "oil sucking" with wifes turkey baster next change. (she wondered why the last TG bird tasted like %&$! motor oil ? - What ?! "Tastes fine to me Hunny" - guess I shoulda splooged it out with gasoline)  I figured I just didnt let it drain long enough, or should have been on side, instead of center stand. Nice to know - thanks all!!  j