News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Throttle Sags: Not TPS?

Started by Wiggus, July 29, 2010, 04:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiggus

I'm having the same throttle hesitations and sags (at about 2500, 3500, and 3900rpm) as reported elsewhere by Tiger owners on my 1999 885i Tiger. All symptoms point to a bad Throttle Position Sensor which is covered in the Sticky on this forum.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,7620

But there are two clues that are making me think twice. If I do the Triumph 12 minute ECU reset (back to stock) it runs great for a while, then the hesitations slowly come back. If it's a bad TPS I wouldn't expect the reset to "fix" it.

Another big clue is that the bike was running fine after a reset, then I got poured on for about 5-10 minutes and the symptoms returned immediately during the storm. It slowly returned to normal after the rain passed.

Could it be some other sensor going bad that the ECU is trying to compensate for?

Also, does it make a difference to the ECU's "learning" if you shut the bike off at the kill switch instead of the key?
You Will Know Me By The Trail of Bolts...

EvilBetty

Wow sorry no one responded to this.  Did you get it sorted?
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Wiggus

Ha! All's quiet on the Tiger front.

No I didn't, though it's not been bad at all lately. It is still there a little till it warms up. I'm wondering if the way you shut the bike off makes a difference in the ECU's memory. Here's why. It seems that when I just use the engine kill switch the sags do not appear except for mildly. When I turn the bike off at the key the sags appear more quickly and are much worse. I wonder if there is a memory-saving cycle, where information is saved to memory, when the key is turned off that is skipped by using the kill switch.

Still doesn't get me closer to a solution though.

Bixxer Bob

Short answer is no.

Whether you use the kill switch or the key, the ECU does a save before shutting down.  Just listen to it in a quiet garage and you'll hear the click of the relay opening.

Edit: turn ign on, wait for startup cycle to finish (fuel pump run etc), hit kill switch and listen to ECU shut down cycle followed by relay click as it powers down.  Next turn kill switch back on, turn off using the key, hear the ECU shut down cycle and relay click again.

Well that's what mine does anyway....  :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Wiggus

More and more baffling then....hmmmmm.