News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Electrical glitch after fitting running lights

Started by mikeybikey57, September 06, 2010, 08:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeybikey57

Following my fitting a pair of LED running lights to my 05 Tiger, things went a bit pear shaped. Having looked at various posts regarding the fitting and wiring of extra lights, I fitted a pair of 12volt 27w LED lights purchased through e-bay. They weren't too pricey and the quality was suprisingly good. Ideal for a set of bright and conspicuous running lights I felt.

After looking on various forums and "how to" sites, I took a switched feed for the relay from one of the front sidelight wires via an aftermarket handlebar switch, so they would only turn on and off when the ignition was switched on. The main power supply went from the battery through an in line fuse, to the relay and then from the relay, on to the lamps themselves. All joints were soldered bullet connectors or good quality crimped, that were then dielectric greased and double shrink sleeved. All earths were also soldered and connected to the -ve battery terminal.

Initially there didn't appear to be any problems with this set up and everything worked well. However, after sitting in the shed for about a fortnight, I went to start the bike and it wouldn't turn over enough to fire up. Also noticed that the speedo needle shot around the face of the dial when the start button was pressed. Despite bump starting and riding it for over 60 miles, it still wouldn't turn the engine over at the end of the ride.

I eventually admitted I may not be as competent an electrical whiz as I thought and disconnected all the wiring to the lamps and put the battery on slow charge. All now appears to be well with the bike as it starts without problem and seems to be charging the battery nicely.

Tiger ownership has taught me that there is always someone out there that is infinitely cleverer than you. Especially with motorcycle electrics! Therefore, if anyone can spot the glaringly obvious mistake that currently eludes my befuddled brain, I would be eternally in your debt and beholdent to you for at least a couple of pints, if ever visiting my corner of Derbyshire. :oops:
There\'s no point in worrying about life, because you\'ll never get out of it alive.

KuzzinKenny

Hey mikeybikey57 !! now that its charged and runnin ok !! reconnect yer lights and see if the problem is still there !! it might just of been that the battery was low !!

good luck !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Bixxer Bob

Idiot question first, was it definitely a side light wire?  Nothing to do with the speedo?

The speedo playing up is symptomatic of an ground fault of some sort, maybe an ground loop.

I run a feed from the tail light to the relay, power feed as yours and all grounds back to the battery, none use the frame or other bike grounds.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

tyger

what's this talk about side lights up front? I saw it in my haynes schematics and another post but I don't think there is such a thing as side lights up front on my 05. Just headlights and turn signals, instruments. Or maybe I am off my rocker and misremembering.

I'm very interested in doing this same thing too. I'm thinking maybe of having my driving lights (mounted low on calipers) also be available in Park position but I need to play with that. I could see them being handy while trying to setup a tent in the dark and not run the bike or all it's electrics to do so. I've got my lights mounted and wires run up behind the console, and I've been pouring over the schematic in between emergencies this weekend. I also want to make sure it goes out in 'start' mode.

2x 27 watts of LED's? really? That's blinding light there.

I would definitely try it one more time on a battery with known good charge. Also look at the relay-- is pulling power when off? It seems like there are some cheaper relays that trickle power when off. Your 12v feed comes in on post 30, the lights are on 87 right?
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp
\'05 Tiger, BRG
tyger, tyger, burning bright...
What immortal hand or eye/ Could frame thy fearful symmetry? (W.Blake)

Nimrod11

Hi mikeybikey57!

When I installed my aux lights (55W x 2), I did try to tap in to the sidelights and found I just couldn't get enough juice out of them. I didn't blow a fuse, but it just didn't work, even though it did show me 12V switched.

I have since wired with a aux relay activated by the tail light, as suggested here. Works just fine. In fact, just last night I bought a nice little aux set from Western Beaver (http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Produ ... rcuit.html). Really nice stuff. Even if you just want the aux lights, you can find something here. They can also make it with the connectors you have.

I would suggest you don't fiddle with the wires upfront. It's like Indiana Jones in that temple full of snakes. Nothing good can come from it. :lol:

By the way, what LED lights did you get? Post a pic here. I just bought the new Denali lights. Very nice, but expensive.

----------
Tiger 2004