News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Where to mount my hard luggage ?

Started by hooligan971, September 26, 2010, 01:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooligan971

I mounted the brackets to my Happy Trails bags today and can't decide on the placement of the boxes on the racks. I thought about leveling them with the rear rack but any top box would probably be in the way. Have you guys drilled and bolted yours on and later wished you had placed them differently ?  How high, how far back ?Suggestions and pics would be appreciated ! I'm going to try to get them on in the morning sometime.
You guys seem to be the most knowledgeable group regarding my bike, but I'm posting this on a couple of other forums, so sorry if you end up reading it twice. Thanks again for all of your help
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

TigerTrax

When I mounted a set of Happy Trails to my '06 I used painters tape on the 'wheel side' of the boxes. Make life easy: Use a box or stool  to rest the HT boxes on at the height you need. You should place 'stuff' under
to get them as near perfect as you can. ( If you had 3 arms.... life would be good!)

On the backside of the boxes:
1. I placed tape to indicate how high I wanted them: About 1" lower
    than seat.
2. I then placed tape to set them back far enough so a passenger
    had room for leg/foot... without being cramped.
3. When I decided their angle.... I simply followed the lines of the bike.
    Just mark your holes on the tape. The boxes will look fine.
4. With a box in it's 'final position' . . . look it over; Make adjustments;
    make certain itis steady and will not move.
5. Mark each mounting hole with a perm marker from the backside, thru
     the mounting frame.
6. Drill your holes. That's tough material so drill a pilot hole then a correct
    diameter hole.
7. When you mount yor bolts be certain to silicone around them to seal
    from moisture. It does not take much.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Bixxer Bob

There's a "what not to do" thread here: http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5793

Where you can add guidance for others  :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...