News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

slapping sound from valve cover area

Started by mantramoto, September 23, 2010, 02:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mantramoto

I am new to this bike (and bikes in general). My 95 Tiger has been running like a top until recently. Still runs great but it is making a metallic slapping sound from the valve cover area when revved. It is sort of a flutter/slap but does not happen at idle. It is audible at most any speed.It had a valve job about 12k miles ago and carbs tuned about 2k miles ago. Does this sound like a valve adjustment is in order??

JetdocX

Sounds like you need to check your cam chain tensioner and your valves are supposed to be checked every 6000 miles, so yes.

If you want help with this let me know.
From parts unknown.

mantramoto

Quote from: "JetdocX"Sounds like you need to check your cam chain tensioner and your valves are supposed to be checked every 6000 miles, so yes.

Thanks JetdocX! Is the cam chain tensioner relatively easy to check and fix?

Thank you!

mantramoto

Quote from: "JetdocX"Sounds like you need to check your cam chain tensioner and your valves are supposed to be checked every 6000 miles, so yes.

JetdocX, how does this sound differ from DAR? Do valves usually get looser or tighter? Because it sounds like a "loose" sort of sound.

Thanks.

JetdocX

Valves usually get tighter.  And DAR is an idle issue which disappears when you open the throttle.

I can help you, but I need to get another bike out of the shop first.

How mechanically-minded are you?  I ask because I don't know you and it sounds like you've depended on some dealer for mechanical support in the past.  

I think the rest is best taken offline to the PM. :wink:
From parts unknown.

R0B

I thought the valve checks were at 6000 and then every 12000.

Rob

aeronca

Quote from: R0BI thought the valve checks were at 6000 and then every 12000.

Rob

thats true, unless you have a brg steamer :shock:
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

JetdocX

Look under 6000 mile checks. :roll:
From parts unknown.

R0B

That'll be the Haynes manual then, not the factory manual. 8th line down, best I can do for a scan.

mantramoto

Thanks guys, I listened again today fearing it was DAR but the sound is definetly  coming from the valve cover area and only over about 2,000 rpm. If vales usually tighten then why might there be a slapping sound?

Thanks!

JetdocX

Hey, you got mail!  Let's open it up and see what's actually going on inside there before any more conjecture.  The cam chain tensioner is super easy to remove and inspect.  I can ride out to you and do it in your garage because mine is full of bikes right now.
From parts unknown.

mantramoto

Quote from: "JetdocX"Hey, you got mail!  Let's open it up and see what's actually going on inside there before any more conjecture.  The cam chain tensioner is super easy to remove and inspect.  I can ride out to you and do it in your garage because mine is full of bikes right now.

Sent you a pm doc, thanks!