News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

POLL: 885i owners call out. Tell me your mileage

Started by haroldo_psf, October 07, 2010, 11:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haroldo_psf

I just dropped some money to upgrade the suspension my 885i with 52,000 miles on it. I was just wondering if I am at the end of the life of the engine, or if I'm good. I am new to Tigers and Triumph in general, and would like to get an idea of how long these engines go before they give up the ghost.
2000 Tiger 885i

xtphreak

actually 64K miles +
got her in April '09 with 30K on the clock

she brought me thru a deer hit last night with nary a scratch, broke spoke and wobble in rim (working on it now)

80mph + on I-26

pics here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost ... ount=14162

still strong

chains, tires, oil & gas

one helluva bike

haroldo_psf

Holy $hit! Congratulations on being alive! Enjoy, glad you're here to talk about it!

Nice feedback on the bike too, thanks! Out of curiosity, do you still have the stock suspension? Any major work or failures since you got it 35K miles ago?
2000 Tiger 885i

kelpie_67

I have a 2000 885i and love it to bits - uses no oil and runs like a clock! I realise of course that posting this may be the kiss of death.
Next July  myself and three other guys are riding from Ontario to Inuvik and back. The previous owner of my bike went from Ontario to Alaska and then down to Sturgis. Great bike -just got run in at 30,000 miles
2000 885i yellow - can you see me now?

hooligan971

I'm curious also as to the lifespan of these engines with proper upkeep. Mine is a 99 that had only 2222 miles when I bought it last month. I've put 1100 on since. I have had a couple small issues but hope to get many miles out of the bike. Love the bike but the front suspension leaves much to be desired.
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

PeteH

Think im up to 33k now on my 99. No oil issues and still pulls like a goodun :)
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

macgart

~45,000 miles on my 99.  Uses a bit of oil depending on how hard I ride it.  No serious mechanical issues to report.  I ride it every day as a commuter and thrash it on the weekends on dirt tracks and fire roads.
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/

haroldo_psf

Can you guys tell me or take a picture of the top of your forks? The owners manual says there is no adjustment for the suspension on the front, but on my bike, there is preload adjustment.

Is it normal, or do I have different forks than OEM?
2000 Tiger 885i

Loops

Hi Guys,

My '99 pushing 75,000 now.

Uses no oil at all and still will do over 50 mpg @70 mph.

However starting to suffer surging under deceleration.  Suspect it may be the throttle position sensor (having read threads on this forum).  Also fuel sender has gone duff so I just fill up at about 225 miles.

I run Bridgestone BT road tyres and one tooth up on the front sprocket.

hagon springs + heavier oil in the front forks.

Ohlins rear shock.

HH pads all round.

Forks have no -preload adjustment (but here was a company doing a modification if I recall correctly).  I've dropped my yokes (NOT Triple trees!!!) down the tubes about 15mm now the steering is spot on for me  tyres.

Oh and my round trip commute becomes ~160miles as on Monday because I start a new job with Sanyo Air Conditioning.  so should rack up the miles even more (when the sun comes out again).

Here's hoping to reach 100,000 miles.

Take care one and all.

Tally ho from the UK
Loops
The more I drive the more I love my Tiger

1999 efi Tiger Yellow ~ 86k miles
2012 HD Electra Glide Classic ~ 40k miles
and Her 250 Rebel ~ 5k miles (and only did 16 miles last year!!)

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "Loops"Hi Guys,

My '99 pushing 75,000 now.

Uses no oil at all and still will do over 50 mpg @70 mph.

However starting to suffer surging under deceleration.  Suspect it may be the throttle position sensor (having read threads on this forum).  Also fuel sender has gone duff so I just fill up at about 225 miles.

I run Bridgestone BT road tyres and one tooth up on the front sprocket.

hagon springs + heavier oil in the front forks.

Ohlins rear shock.

HH pads all round.

Forks have no -preload adjustment (but here was a company doing a modification if I recall correctly).  I've dropped my yokes (NOT Triple trees!!!) down the tubes about 15mm now the steering is spot on for me  tyres.

Oh and my round trip commute becomes ~160miles as on Monday because I start a new job with Sanyo Air Conditioning.  so should rack up the miles even more (when the sun comes out again).

Here's hoping to reach 100,000 miles.

Take care one and all.

Tally ho from the UK
Loops

wow, with that commute you should be hitting 100K in no time! keep us posted. Thanks for the feedback. I will have to take a picture of my forks and post it here for people to see. I need to know what the heck I have, so I can buy the correct goodies (RT emulators, springs, what not).
2000 Tiger 885i