News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine Oil Blending

Started by DKWrider, October 04, 2010, 12:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKWrider

I know there are a lot of opinions out there on what oil to use in a Girly (I have read several while searching this topic).

It is very disappointing for me too have two motorcycle manufacturers with oddball oil weights in their owners manuals.  I have a Yamaha that "requires" 20w40 which is not a weight you can find anywhere but at your friendly neighborhood Yamaha shop.  It is an air-cooled trail bike that only requires one quart of oil and I run Mobil 1 20w50 in it in the summer and 10w40 in the winter.

Since the Tiger manual says Mobil 1 Racing 4T 15w40 is the correct oil to use and only 10w40 and 20w50 are available in most shops and auto stores, has anyone every tried running their Tiger with one quart of Mobil1 20w50 mixed in with 3.2 quarts of Mobil1 10w40?
2000 Lightning Yellow Tiger

Colonel Nikolai

I use Amsoil Motorcycle Oil in both my Steamer and my Sprint @ 10w40.

The "10" in the oil reading regulates how much oil is available for the finest tolerances at the lowest temperature. Forget about oil pressure. So if you could run your steamer at 0w40, that would be better than 10w40 which would be better than 15w40.

So raising that initial weight only helps protect gaskets and such. The best designed bike in the world could handle 0w100 weight oil because it's tolerances are so good.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Timbox2

My Owners manual says that 10/40 or 15/50 semi or fully synthetic is Ok to use as long as it meets API SH (Or higher) AND JASO MA
2016 Tiger Sport

jsingraham

Ditto to what Colonel Nikolai said.  I run Amsoil 10W40 in mine.  The main thing you want to concern yourself with is the service ratings which I think are at the API SH (Or higher) AND JASO MA as Timbox2 said.  

Jason
06 Triumph Tiger - Caspian Blue
07 Yamaha FJR - Black Cherry
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel
02 jr 50(really for the kids!)

xtphreak

local trumpet shops tell me that the recommended oil is gonna change from Mobile 15W-40 to castrol RS4T 10W-50 because mobile can't keep a constant supply to them

that said, I run Rotella T 15W-40 dino oil (diesel grade oil) and change oil & filter every 3K miles

it's better to have fresh good oil in a motor than old great oil IMHO

and wth rotella @ $13/gal Wally World and a ST7317 filter @ $2.83 it's fast and inexpensive to swap it often

WVdyhrd

Quote from: "xtphreak"that said, I run Rotella T 15W-40 dino oil (diesel grade oil) and change oil & filter every 3K miles
x2
When all else fails, be lucky.

"...he proceeded, taking whatever road his horse pleased: for therin he believed, consisted the true spirit of adventure."- Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

advrider->wvdyhrd