News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Strange eccentric noise suddenly came up...

Started by Hassan, May 07, 2011, 09:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hassan

Hi everyone...

My bike was just a'right as mechanical,but suddenly it started to give a damn eccentric noise,also noisy valves...

One of the mechanics over here told me that the timing of eccentric might be changed because of the auto "something" spring or something...

:roll:

ok,I couldn't explained it...

I'm just affraid of the valves and pistons just because of the change in eccentric thing that's all.

We'll take a look at it tomorrow,there's a little part in right side of the engine to adjust the eccentric chain...

Any help will be appreciated.
\'99 885i

oradbaforpsoft

Hassan,

That's the cam chain tensioner. It is used to keep the timing chain taut so it does not slip a tooth etc. while running. I would not remove that unless you have the valve cover off and are about to remove the cam shafts.
It is possible that the cams are not lined up correctly.. in that case you would have to rotate the engine to TDC, make sure the arrows in the cam shaft are aligned etc.  If not then you would loosen the cam chain tensioner to reposition them correctly, replace the cam tensioner gasket (it's paper and will disintegrate) and carefully put it all together, making sure the chain does not jump a tooth in the process.

If, on the other hand the bike has not had a recent valve job or had the cam shafts out, then the noise could be something else, noisy chain etc.

I guess this does not solve your problem, but at least identifies the part you incorrectly refer to in the diagram.

Let me know if I can help further
Dave in KCMO: 2003 Tiger 955i - Lucifer Orange

Hassan

Thanks.

Bike didn't had any mechanical threatment since 6 months,This noise suddenly started.Without opening the valve cover.

I wish the chain didn't jumped a teeth.
\'99 885i

PeteH

Without consulting the Haynes manual I`d say if it has jumped a tooth(probably has`nt) it`d be a f***ked up motor by now :(

Hope its not too serious whatever it is.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Hassan

Thanks Guys,

I've talked to my Mechanic and he told me that the cam chain is just got loose.

I've just got to tighten it up a bit that's all.
\'99 885i

Mustang

ya but there is no adjustment , it's spring loaded ratchet so it either works or it doesn't there is no adjustment.

Hassan

That's right,what I've found inside was just a spring.

Got it off and on again,it's just allright now.
No noise,better throttle response.

Sometimes it's got loose they say...

Thanks.
\'99 885i

jphish

Hassan - Good it was a simple fix. Smart to post here for guidence. Folks like Mustang & others (nothing like institutional knowledge & experience) save all of us a lot of unproductive tinkering...and perhaps protecting us from our mechanical ineptitude.  :roll: