News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Removing bolt for 2000 Tiger rub block

Started by ronhr, October 24, 2010, 04:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronhr

I finally obtained a rub strip and rub block for my 2000 Girly.

However, now I cannot remove the bolt that holds the rub block (not strip.)  It spins, and you can see it spinning, but will not extract.

Is there some trick of jacking somewhere to remove load from engine or frame?  I have tried everything that I can think of doing.

You can see the threads of the bolt where it goes into the case due to the design of the case.

I assume that this is why the dealer that the guy I bought it from did not replace rub block (or strip) when they replaced the chain and sprockets.
2000 Tiger

jwray76

Not sure of this is exact issue but I had a similar one recently with a sleeved bolt. If it is just spinning and not getting a grip you can try grabing it with a pair of channel locks and pulling hard while unscrewing. Worked like a charm for me.

jwray76

shoot I just read it again and you can try what I said but also put a lift under the engine with a block of wood and jack it up just a bit to releave the pressure. I was able to get the bolt out no problem but the spacer was wedged between the motor and frame pretty well. I think I am just going to leave the rub block on mine for now.

ronhr

I think that is what the previous owner had done, but it has worn through to the sleve.

I may leave it anyway, but would really like to do it right.  Tried the vise grips, but it wouldn't come out.  I think it is more or less free from the block.
2000 Tiger

rf9rider

Dunno about your model, but the Steamer rub block has a nut and bolt holding it on?