News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

For all you stutterers out there...

Started by Bixxer Bob, October 29, 2010, 01:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

And no, I'm not having a go at speech impediments!

A while back I fixed my really dreadful lumpy running between 2-3000 rpm by changing my TPS.  I know that in my case it wasn't the known throttle body gasket leak because I'd already changed that.

Anyway,  over the last few weeks it's returned. Not the same as before, or as bad, but a slight hesitation on light throttle at the same revs.  My first thought was the TB gasket again, but as I was taking it apart  this morning fate took a hand.  I thought, "Whilst I'm in here I'll check the state of the air filter and get one on order at the same time as the gasket if I need one".  But when I took the air filter out of the airbox, I noticed that there was a gap between the airbox and the IACV.  "That shouldn't be there", I thought, "Maybe I forgot the gasket".

I took the airbox off and the gasket was in place, so I put the airbox back on but no amount of pushing or cursing would close the gap.  In the end I gave up wondering why it wouldn't seat; specially as the front locating lugs were in the right place and the rear mounting bolt holes ligned up ok.  Instead I made a second gasket out of some 5mm sealed-bubble polythene foam.  I then put it all back together and took her for a run.

Bingo!!  No more stuttering!!!

I haven't yet worked out why there's a gap, but closing it got a result; so, if you've got a stutter, whip the tank off and pull your air filter then have a look at where the IACV casing pokes through into the box.  If it's not hard up against the gasket, that could be your problem.  :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

iansoady

Pragmatism rules....

I'd still be in the garage surrounded by a pile of bits trying to work out what was missing.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

haroldo_psf

John,

Is it possible to see if there is a gap by removing the air filter and looking down into the air box? I can't seem to remember being able to look a the IACV without removing the air box. I have an extra IACV gasket, so I might jsut stack them together, if I do have a gap too. What do you think?
2000 Tiger 885i

Bixxer Bob

I'm not sure about the 885 Haroldo, but you definitely can on a 955.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...