News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

ignition coil circuit malfunction codes causes

Started by bluffskier, November 26, 2010, 04:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluffskier

I took off my tank to replace the plugs, redo the evap system (Cali model), air/fuel filter replace and now my engine light is on. I reset the codes with a computer from the parts store and to clear out all the old codes from when I had it apart. Now I get the ignition coil circuit malfunction codes, 3 of them.

What would cause this cause I hate to ride with that light on, very distracting.

Bixxer Bob

Welcome.

Can you post the actual codes and does it start / run ok?

Without the codes it's hard to say so I'm just guessing here, but did you connect the coils in the correct order (although it would be hard not to, the loom rather limits the opportunity to get it wrong).

Edit:  Just looked at the manual, I'm guessing 201,202,203.  Seeing as the other codes are for either shorts or open circuits, I'd say you either have them in the wrong order or they aren't connecting to the plugs properly.

If it's running, turn it off.  Turn ign on but not start.  Check codes.  Clear codes. Re-check codes without starting it.  Do codes re-appear? If not, start engine.  Re-check codes, do codes re-appear now? If not, MIL light should now be out.  Ride and enjoy.  If codes re-appear go in and re-check all of your work.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

bluffskier

I cannot seem to find the sheet I wrote the codes down on but those are them if I remember correctly. The bike starts and runs fine, but now with the engine light on. The other day I cleared the codes out and rode it about 20 miles and it did fine, but the next morning I was letting it warm up and then the codes reappeared after a few minutes.

I'll tear it down later today and see what I can find.

Bixxer Bob

When you say you cleared the codes out, did the MIL light go out too?

This has got me cratching my head a bit as I've no idea what Triumph might be detecting to post a "Ign coil circuit malfunction".  I can understand the other two sets of codes for short or open circuit as they're self-explanatory.  Or, for that matter, why it should begin doing this after you've had it in bits, unless it's something along the lines of what I've already suggested.

Better get my reading specs on....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...