News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bitten by the misfire bug

Started by Mudhen, August 26, 2010, 08:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Quote from: "Zizi":?
I need to check these forums more often!  Make sure Pat hasn't started selling off the parts to my 95.  
Anyway Pat, at least I don't go riding around on a baby blue scooter, like some people I know.  :5moped .

lol...how about this...Tuesday night I went up to Hurricane Mtn Rd to grab the Northern New England Tag...

200 miles, 4 hours.

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a Tiger!  Ok, maybe not.   :lol:
\'96 Steamer

Mudhen

No...I'm running off a bottle right now.

I tried swapping the ignitor over from the other bike this morning...same problem.

Thinking I may try a compression test on it next.  Maybe it's the head gasket?
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

Pat
Great Bay is having demo rides today and tomorrow . me and mrs are going down tomorrow .  
Want me to come over after and take a look at it ?

Mudhen

Quote from: "Mustang"Pat
Great Bay is having demo rides today and tomorrow . me and mrs are going down tomorrow .  
Want me to come over after and take a look at it ?

Think I'd turn down free help?!??!?  That would be awesome!

The real show here tomorrow is going to be Zahi punching the go button on his bike, though.  Imagine that...no way is that thing going to start!!!

:lol:

I've got kids soccer in the morning, should be back here just after 12.  And then I'll be around most of the afternoon.
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

We will stop in on the way home .probably around 2 ish  , give or take ....

Mudhen

Swapped the crank position sensor this morning...no help.  All the same symptoms.

My compression tester won't fit these spark plug holes...think that's the next step?
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

but why does it run good above 4k
thats usually the bad coil syndrome
the runs good above 4k thing would point me to either coils or a buggered low speed circuit in the carb ......how are the o rings on the float assembly to #3 ?
if it is leaking past the orings it will run like shit until you get the rpm up where it can use the excess fuel .

at idle you may not be feeding fuel to #3

you need three things for it to run

FUEL (try removing the filters off the petcock pipes up in the tank)
        (water in fuel ?)

COMPRESSION (cold engine will have no clearance on intakes if they need shimming , but will run ok above 4k)

SPARK (have you tried a complete different set of plug wires and new plugs)

Mustang

Quote from: "Mudhen"My compression tester won't fit these spark plug holes...think that's the next step?
I bet it will if you take the valve cover off ....and you can check your valves at the same time  :D

Mudhen

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "Mudhen"My compression tester won't fit these spark plug holes...think that's the next step?
I bet it will if you take the valve cover off ....and you can check your valves at the same time  :D

I have 3 different size plug fittings for it and none are right...either too big or too small.

I've already checked the valves, all are in spec.

I'm not using my tank, I'm running off a bottle.  I'm using Zahi's carbs, plugs, wires, ignitor, coils, and crank position sensor.

Oooo...what about the rubber intake boots...those are the same.  I tried spraying carb cleaner around in there hoping if there was a leak the idle would go up - but I haven't taken them off and really looked at them.  Will try that today when I return the carbs to their rightful bike.  I think I'm done screwing around with it...

Come on, Tiger 800...be all that you can be.   :wink:
\'96 Steamer

Mudhen

Now I'm in real trouble...Zahi's bike started up and ran successfully yesterday for the first time after the sprag replacement...no more stealing stuff to try out!  Not that there was anything left anyway...I tried every piece of it other than the seat I think...  :roll:

But I've gotta hand it to Zahi - he stuck with it.  Took us (well, him mostly) almost a year and a half...just need to button up the odds and ends, but it runs.  Amazing.
\'96 Steamer

Mudhen

Just went out to finish buttoning the old girl back up...jacket on the baby, strapped in stroller...some snacks to keep him quiet.  This is only going to take a minute to just finish putting the plastics back on anyway.  Plastics...oh, and fuel line.  WHAT?!??  FUEL LINE?!?!?!  WTF!!

:oops:

I look inside the valve chamber through the intake boots - 1 and 2 look light gray...#3 is black and oily/sooty.  What would cause that?  Burned valve?

I'm going to run the piss out of it...until my new 800 arrives.  Then throw it in the tank.  She had a good life.
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

that's the one that was misfiring ............unburned fuel ?????

Mudhen

Quote from: "Mustang"that's the one that was misfiring ............unburned fuel ?????

Unburned fuel...which then burned and burned the valve, causing it to stick..hence the back firing?  Maybe all caused by my stuck float awhile back?

I'll run a couple hundred miles with 1-part gas, 10-parts Milk of Magnesia...see if we can, uh, loosen her up... :lol:
\'96 Steamer