News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly gearbox issues

Started by sgt-pluck, November 09, 2010, 07:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgt-pluck

My Girly ( '06 model 955i, 26k ) is giving me grief in the gear selection department. It feels like either a return spring, or selector rod or similar has gone south. The lever feels like it is not returning properly after a gear change and I have to nudge it a good few times before I can change gear again. It's worse up the box, but is happening down too. Also - neutral seems even more difficult to find than usual, and when I do eventually find a gear, the 'clunk' sounds louder. These last two could be my imagination though.

So I understand that the return spring is relatively easy to replace, whilst the rods require the cases to be split. Before I head off to the Triumph dealership, touch my toes and hand over my wallet - has anybody replaced a return spring before? Any hints / tips / clues / suggestions?

Clutch is adjusted correctly and chain tension is as I always keep it - loose side of spec.

Cheers.

KuzzinKenny

Hey sgt-pluck !! sorry to here yer havin gearbox probs !! you have said the chain is on the loose side but check it for tight spots !! you might have a few seized links ?? are you using the right engine oil ?? the wrong stuff can give gear change probs !! hope its nothin ££££££$$$$$$$$    :shock:

KK

ps check yer front sprocket for wear, it could be hooked !!  :shock:
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

sgt-pluck

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Hey sgt-pluck !! sorry to here yer havin gearbox probs !! you have said the chain is on the loose side but check it for tight spots !! you might have a few seized links ?? are you using the right engine oil ?? the wrong stuff can give gear change probs !! hope its nothin ££££££$$$$$$$$    :shock:

KK

ps check yer front sprocket for wear, it could be hooked !!  :shock:

Yeah - chain is good, oil is good ( fully-synth, 1000 miles old, same as I always use ), sprockets good, clutch adjusted good.  What I'm really after is hearing from any folk who replaced their return spring or gone into the box - anyone done this?

Cheers,

N

iansoady

Someone here has had a wrecked gearbox and is currently in the process of rebuilding it - may be worth doing a search and contacting him (although I expect he's quite busy.....)
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

sgt-pluck

Just to round this off for future searchers:

There is a return spring on the selector shaft behind the clutch as well as on the inside of the box itself. Fortunately this is the one that had broken on mine - so that's a clutch out job rather than an engine out job. So don't necessarily despair if you suddenly find that your gear level has gone all floppy and you change change gear!

Cheers,

N

Bixxer Bob

Thanks for coming back to finish the thread off mate, many don't bother!!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...