News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tight drive nut

Started by tett, December 30, 2010, 01:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tett

So I decided to change my chain since it was stretched in parts and I could not get even tension.  30mm slap and then turn half through and totally tight.  Yup, chain is toast.  Reading various posts I see that it is best to change sprokets too.  So I get a nice chain and sprocket kit.

Rear wheel off and new rear drive sprocket on.  Then I look at the front sprocket.  Sh#t, what a huge nut.  Measure it and see it is 36mm.  A thin plate washer behind is bent to hold the nut in place so I bend it back and then off to work.  Buy a 36mm socket ($20) and bring home a 4 foot bar from work.  The thing looks seized on and other posts say the nut is a bitch to remove.  Off to the shed to size up what to do and then will ask my wife to come over and keep the rear brake on.  

Just for fun I put the bike in first and make sure the 36mm socket fits.  Fits perfect.  Give it a little turn with the fingers and POP! off comes the nut.  The thing is not even finger tight.  Have driven about 10K with this thing loose.

Oh well, at least nothing happended and the job was a lot easier than I thought.

Cheers!

tett
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

jwray76

not a big deal if it wasn't really tight...that is what the bent over washer to lock it in place is for. By the way if you had a really long breaker bar then it was probably tighter than you think.

My chain had the exact same stretch problem as yours did too.

Mustang

seems to happen a lot to the front sprocket nut ..............even if you jumped up and down on the breaker bar and made the nut gudentite don't be surprised to see it's loose the next time you do chain and sprockets .