News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Girly Owner's First Real Ride

Started by topher0268, March 02, 2011, 09:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topher0268

Let me start by saying I'm an experienced rider and have had a pretty substantial stable of various types of bikes. I've owned small and large V Twins, a handful of in-line four standards from the 70's and 80's, a couple single thumpers, and a couple parallel twins. I've never owned what would be considered a pure sport bike so I have no background in that type of performance, weight, and handling. So in reality the Tiger is probably the closest thing I've ever owned to a sport bike (yes I know it's a completely different beast). I say that because what I'm about to say won't jive with someone who puts in track days on his liter crotch rocket. Still I've had BIG bikes with 100+ HP and 600 plus weight to go with it all the way down to 350lb one lung thumpers set up in the early 70's ...

I've spent the last month or so on this Tiger cleaning it up, fixing plastic cracks, going through the electrics, and basically touching base on everything a bike with 18k on it might need. I basically assumed the previous owner did NONE of it to be on the safe side so I hadn't had a chance to actually ride the bike until today at lunch when I managed to put a couple hundred miles on (I took a REALLY long lunch) ..... OK so that being said ...

HOLY WOW IS THIS FREAKIN BIKE FANTASTIC OR WHAT!!!!!!!!!

I was worried about seat height ( I'm only 5'7" with a 31" inseam) .... NO PROBLEM AT ALL. It's a little tall but it's light enough that I never felt that I didn't have a sure footing even on my tip toes. I'm pretty sure that my initial impression was I LOVE everything this bike has to offer. I love how the suspension soaks up the bumps and it didn't feel squirrely in the corners. I'm amazed at the linear power of this engine while I never felt it was going to get out from under me. Heck I even thought the seating position was ... well perfect.

Mechanically I was surprised how little needed done (I'm kind of OCD when it comes to maintenance). I can't even find the right words to describe how much I enjoy the characteristics of the engine. Also, I'm sure that a 700 mile day might make me look long and hard at the stock seat but to be honest, with my primary distance bike being an 06 Bonneville on stock seat and suspension, it may not be an issue. It certainly feels like the most comfortable bike I've ever owned!!!!

I guess my biggest question at this point is ... why didn't someone tell me a month ago ....  :shock:
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

Bixxer Bob

The euphoria of a first ride! :lol:

Welcome to the madhouse :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "topher0268"HOLY WOW IS THIS FREAKIN BIKE FANTASTIC OR WHAT!!!!!!!!!

It certainly feels like the most comfortable bike I've ever owned!!!!

I guess my biggest question at this point is ... why didn't someone tell me a month ago ....  :shock:

Ssssshh !! not so loud, or everybody will want one !!  :lol:

Welcome to TT.com  :thumbsup

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

John Stenhouse

damn, that's blown it, everyone will want one now  :lol:  Welcome to the board
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

iansoady

Exactly the way I felt when I got mine.

Just one word of caution - in the initial euphoria, it's easy to underestimate how easily the Tiger can get off balance and take you down at sub-walking speed. Twice in the first couple of weeks for me (and I know others). Once you're used to it, no problem.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

Ian's right, and they're very friendly.  Mine gave me a hug and pinned me to the garage wall for half-an-hour..... :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "iansoady"Just one word of caution - in the initial euphoria, it's easy to underestimate how easily the Tiger can get off balance and take you down at sub-walking speed. Twice in the first couple of weeks for me (and I know others). Once you're used to it, no problem.
Not just the girlies, the Steamers more so.  I have lost count, now, how many times my bike has been down on me...

topher0268

.... dually noted. I noticed that tendency to want to fall/dive at parking lot speeds. Lil throttle ... ride the clutch ... np so far  :wink:

topher0268

now if I could just trade in a little of my riding experience for a set of longer legs  :?

Bixxer Bob

Yup, slipping a wet clutch isn't damaging like a dry one.  For pulling away, especially turing right (read left for USA) in the UK the IAM teach steady throttle at 2000 rpm (the centrifugal force of the spinning crank helps stabilise the bike at low speed until the mass of the wheels starts to work), let the clutch out until it just bites, don't change tghe throttle setting, just control the forward speed with the back brake.  It takes a little practice, but it really does work.  Works too when riding v slowly in traffic.

Putts255

BB is right.  This is one of the techniques I learned in my first defensive driving course and every spring I go to a parking lot and get re-acquainted to doing this.  Once you learn it is is invaluable in lots, slow traffic, parking garages etc.  

For me with a 33" inseam I have no problem with the height of the bike....
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "topher0268"now if I could just trade in a little of my riding experience for a set of longer legs  :?

Hey topher0268 !! do a search on here, your model of Tigger is quite easy to lower  :?

my 05 model aint  :(

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

topher0268

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"
Quote from: "topher0268"now if I could just trade in a little of my riding experience for a set of longer legs  :?

Hey topher0268 !! do a search on here, your model of Tigger is quite easy to lower  :?

my 05 model aint  :(

KK

thanks ...

I had read about the mod and I'll probably end up doing it but I wanted to see if I could handle the bike as is. My thinking is if I could get comfortable with the height then I could do the mod if I decided to add a thicker saddle like a Russell saddle.

After only a couple days it seems like the stock height isn't going to be an issue at all and I'm LOVING it when rolling. Of course I AM wearing my "big boy" boots with the giant soles  :roll:

mat-tiger1

Hi & welcome to the forum :!:
Now you know what we all rave about  :!:
Like the lads said, let's keep it amongst ourselves   :wink: :lol:
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

MtheTiger

+1

For ridin' techniques the David L. Hough books are a must read.

http://www.ebook3000.com/Sports/Profici ... 30107.html

M
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue