News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stupid Horn Question

Started by aesdj, March 12, 2011, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aesdj

I've just got a Stebel Magnum horn and it says it needs a 20 amp fuse  :shock:. Looked at the wiring diagram and the feed comes out of the ignition to number 4 fuse (15 amp) then to the horn. Out of the horn and to the switch that sends it to earth when pressed. It works fine and LOUD but I'm concerned it may damage the wiring. Now here's the stupid question bit. When the horn is working and pulling 20 amps the fuse should have blown shouldn't it so I'm thinking everything will be fine and anyway it will only be pulling full amps for as long as the buttons pressed which is'nt long.

Bixxer Bob

:shock:

Use a relay mate!!!!

No load on your existing wiring then.   Take the connectors you currently have on the Stebel and put them on the switching terminals of a 30 amp relay (mine's under the seat but you can hide it anywhere).   Now take a lead from the battery (use proper crimps for a neat job) to a waterproof in-line fuse then to one switched terminal of the relay.  Then from the last relay terminal to the Stebel and from the Stebel to ground.  Now all your existing wiring is switching is the relay.

Or you could have a ride down and I'll do it for ya!!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

oxnsox

Biggest load will be when you initially thumb the button, and even if it pulls 20amps it'll have to do it for a bit before the fuse actually blows..... soo in short it'll probably be just fine till you actually need it and that'll be the time it blows the fuse after an initial 'peep'.

But really follow Bob's advice, or better yet go see him... he's unemployed and bored....
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ChazzyB

Just found some blurb on t'net that says the Magnum draws no more than 6 amps.  Mine's never caused a fuse to blow - it's been fitted on the Tiger for three years and was on an earlier bike before then too.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

HockleyBoy

Got a magnum on mine too, plug and play and hasnt caused any problems in three or four years, need to use it quite a lot too on my London commute :D
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Bixxer Bob

Not saying the loom wiring can't handle the Stebel, but why take the risk for the sake of a £3 relay?  All my farkles run through relays to protect the loom from any chance of damage.

Have you seen the price of a loom???
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

aesdj

Thanks lads. I thought it would be fine but as Bixxer says its not worth the risk. It's not going on the road for another couple of weeks so it will give me an excuse to get out of watching Dancing on Ice  :lol: