News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Coolant Capacity??

Started by Timbox2, May 04, 2011, 06:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Has anyone else found that when doing a coolant change they dont get anywhere near the listed 2.8 ltrs. Ive just done mine and got just over 2 ltrs in total, thats a fair amount hiding in the water jacket or somewhere.
2016 Tiger Sport

Hassan

I've got a question about this coolant thing too.

On twistie roads I'm always getting some coolant flooding to the gas tank...

Even I'm fillin' it up till the mark...

Is it normal?
\'99 885i

daveb

yep Tim, I had a similar volume after mine pissed coolant, drained system, then refill it nowhere near 2.8lts.

Timbox2

Ok, Cheers Dave, spose its like the 4ltrs oil capacity which I also never get close to.

Hassan, not sure what you are saying here, Gas Tank??? I do know that with the coolant header tank you only want just over the minimum mark when cold, dont fill to max its too much.
2016 Tiger Sport

Hassan

ok thanks.

I'll try to keep it low.
\'99 885i

Chris Canning

I've changed mine serveral times,never checked the quantity just refill fill with Silkolene Pro Cool and thats it  :oops:

But in my defence :roll: Triumph have never done a dam thing to retract their instructions on chain ajustment which is just completely wrong,so you can put me in the 'Don't beleave a word they tell you' camp.

Putts255

When I did mine last fall I tilted the bike way to the left (stand side) and more came out.  

I have to do another flush as the stuff in there after the winter of sitting is a lovely orange.  Bought some Wetter stuff to add to the antifreeze in hopes it reduces the operating temps a few degrees.

I will let you know as I am hoping to do it this weekend, barring any disasters from working on my daughters little pick up truck (new shocks, oil change, brake fluid flush, and fix heater control knob...wish me luck).  

Cheers!
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

oradbaforpsoft

Quote from: "Timbox2"Has anyone else found that when doing a coolant change they dont get anywhere near the listed 2.8 ltrs. Ive just done mine and got just over 2 ltrs in total, thats a fair amount hiding in the water jacket or somewhere.

Did mine last month - only got in 2 liters. I had bought 3 one liter bottles and the 3rd is unopened.

I flushed mine twice with a distilled water/vinegar mix, and twice with only distilled water - the old fluid was nasty.. I also removed the hoses and drain plug so am convinced the sucker only takes 2 liters.
Dave in KCMO: 2003 Tiger 955i - Lucifer Orange