News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What would cause "Coil Short to Ground" ??

Started by Danny955i, April 06, 2011, 07:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny955i

Does this mean a fouled plug? Or does this mean a bum coil?

I got "Open Connection" and "Short to Ground" faults on my number 2 cylinder coil today after a run to work.

Ran it home on 2 cylinders... not fun. If I stopped, and let it cool down, and run it again, it would be fine... then it would smooth out a bit here and there on the road home... little blips of 3 cylinder running.

This stupid motorcycle is killing me...

iansoady

It'll be the coil rather than the plug. The only thing the plug would affect is the HT circuit which AFAIK is not (could not be?) monitored by the ECU.

Or it could of course be a frayed / trapped wire in the harness.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Danny955i

Took airbox off and sure enough.. the #2 cylinder blue plug had come undone... The little clip was worn down and it just slid right off....

Zip tied her back on (and the other 2 cylinders as well) and she's good as new.

Purrs like a kitten.

Dred

I'm not sure how smart the 'puter brain thing is, but ...

Smell your oil.  If it smells like gas, or if the level has mysteriously increased ... it's time for a change.

Don't know how far yoru ride home was, but ... If you weren't spark'n the fuel, some of it was washing down into the crankcase.

If your level is unchanged, and you don't detect the smell - no worries.

Danny955i

I had just changed it before the run... and 99% of it was definitely going out the tail pipe.

But, I will definitely give it a sniff.

Danny955i

No issues with the oil... same level as I changed it and no burnt/gassy/varnish smell.

Good to go.