News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear footrest modification

Started by Tigertriple, April 11, 2011, 09:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigertriple

I have recently modified my rear pegs to give a bit more leg room. I first removed the pegs and made a cardboard template and then had a pair of 10mm thick aluminium plates made up by Cat at Girders who are a local bike fabricator. I decided to have them made with two position options.

I was planning to have the plates powder coated, however as the cost from ESP was £25.00 I decided to spray them with smooth Hammerite paint for £8.00

The plates were drilled out to 10mm to accept M10 stainless steel bolts which I bought from Pro-Bolt

When I made the original template I made sure that the edge of the plated would line up with the ridge of the bike frame in order to keep them from moving. Once fitted I finished them off with Triumph stamped covers, which were originally inspection cover gromits for a Tiger Cub chain case. They stop the plates from being rubbed by boots and look quite good

The 2 photos below show the additional hole for footrest adjustment.

Below is a sketch of the template for the plates. Please note that it is a bit rough and if you want to use it make sure you check it against your bike first. The graph paper that it is on is in 5mm quares to allow you to re draw it to scale. The top 10mm hole that allows it to bolt to the frame needs to be spot on in positioning to ensure that the plate make a tight fit with the ridge of the frame. The other 2 hole's can be drilled to suit. You may only want to make one additional hole if you don't require adjustment

Overall this mod has given about two inches of drop and one inch forward positioning. My Son tells me it is very comfy. I now hardly notice he is on the back and I do not feel cramped up anymore.

Not the best bit of fabricating I've seen, but it does the job. The total cost for all parts came to £56.00. For me it's money well spent. :D  :D  :D
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

Dred

My wife has had trouble with cramping as pillion.  I was out with a US Coast Guard friend Saturday while the wife was home.  He's fabing up something nearly identical as I type.

Good job, and thanks for the tip.  My thought was to mount the extension using two points - the first being the rear peg mount point and the second being the slot just rearward where my HT rack bolts up.  Advantaging that ridge is brilliant, so maybe the finished product will be a bit less ugly.

Bixxer Bob

Well done!!  I did this about 3 yrs ago, but my fabrication was a lot simpler and only cost the equivalent of $10.  I used 1" x 1/2" flat steel bar to make 2 drop plates, two 12mm SS bolts to hold them in place, a spot of weld to fix the orientation as per the peg brackets and, yes, smooth silver hammerite to finish it off.

Which reminds me, the hammerite needs re-doing..  :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jrockrat

Those look nice. Any chance you could share a dimensional drawing for those of us that may like to try our hand at making some?  :D

Danny955i

Wow... those look way better than the ones I made.

I took a 3x3 piece of stainless angle-iron and chopped one of the sides off leaving about 1/8th on an inch left... Then drilled 2 holes... it mounts up to the stock stopper on the mount and the edge of the footrest fits perfectly in the corner of the angle iron...

I'll post pics later.

Tigertriple

Quote from: "jrockrat"Those look nice. Any chance you could share a dimensional drawing for those of us that may like to try our hand at making some?  :D

I used a cardboard template and just cut it to the shape I wanted. I am no good at technical drawing. I will put together a sketch of the template I used. The main thing when making them is to ensure that the edge of the plate sits firmly against the ridge on the frame where the footrest is removed from. This gives a good secure anchor for the plate.

Also don't use cheap bolts. I paid about £18.00 for 2 M10 45mm bolts finished in stainless steel from Pro-Bolt. My reasoning for this is that they need to support a fair weight load for the passenger getting on and off. Not to clever if a bolt snaps and you mash your foot. Thanks for your feedback and keep a lookout for my sketch which I'll add soon.

Tigertriple

Quote from: "jrockrat"Those look nice. Any chance you could share a dimensional drawing for those of us that may like to try our hand at making some?  :D

I have put a sketch on the photos for you. I hope this helps you out.

jrockrat

Quote from: "Tigertriple"

I have put a sketch on the photos for you. I hope this helps you out.

Awesome! Thank You!!  :D

Timbox2

Does the Hammerite look as close to the OE frame paint as it does in the photos?

Just thinking for touching up purposes
2016 Tiger Sport

Tigertriple

Quote from: "Timbox2"Does the Hammerite look as close to the OE frame paint as it does in the photos?

Just thinking for touching up purposes

I would not use the Hammerite on the frame. If you are looking for touch up paint, check out RS motorbike Paints they specialize in paint matching. I have used them in the past. Www.rsbikepaint.co.uk Tel 01707 273219. I hope this helps.

swinterc

Just did your mod and it worked great. Thanks for posting the spec sheet. printed to the right size and was able to make them with ease.

Tigertriple

Quote from: "swinterc"Just did your mod and it worked great. Thanks for posting the spec sheet. printed to the right size and was able to make them with ease.

I take it my royalty cheque is in the post :wink:  I'm pleased to have helped you out.  :D