News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Few questions about fork oil change...

Started by Basri..., September 23, 2010, 11:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

actually 670 cc sounds about right ..them is some long lower fork legs on a tigger  :wink:

Basri...

Quote from: "Mustang"actually 670 cc sounds about right ..them is some long lower fork legs on a tigger  :wink:

Yes, you are right...

Replaced the fork oil today, did the height measurement for SHOWA, 144 mm., almost egzactly 670 cc in to each fork..

I was riding with ATF in my forks, great change after putting right amount 15W IPONE syntetic fork oil.

Removed all parts in the fork and cleaned the mud at the bottom..

5 days ago ordered fork oil seal and dust seals from http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Triumph/Tig ... 403/93-97/ , unfortunately they were 1 mm wider in outside diameter, probably they were for KAYABAs, so they did not fit, had to put the old seals back on.. :cry:

This company great on fast delivery, it took only 3 days from England to my door in Turkey :)

But the fork seals did not fit, also ordered Hi-Flow oil filter, big rubber o-ring of the lid also was too big, did not fit, had to put the old o-ring back.. :cry:

Also ordered a D.I.D. drive chain from Wemoto, i am happy with it.. :)

All funny noices from the back disapeared..
Basri,

since 1965...

Mudhen

Ok...so attempting this for the first time on a buddies bike...and was about to order the parts.  Question - do the earlier forks have a dust seal?  I don't think I had one.  When I pulled the boot off I was right at the level of pulling the clip off the oil seal - no dust seal.

I'd order them anyway just in case except half the cost of the whole job is that thing!!!  So figured I'd ask first.

Thanks!

Pat
\'96 Steamer

BruKen

the oil seals are cheap. The dust seals are frikken expensive by comparison.

Mudhen

Maybe it's that the Haynes manual has the order of parts wrong?  It says to pull the dust seal off and then take the oil seal clip off.  My '96 and this '95 both have the clip on top...take that off and then you can get to what I think is the dust seal (it was being one with the oil seal).
\'96 Steamer

NeilD

possibly by 'dust seal' they mean the gaiters?

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "Mustang"if your 96 doesn't have drain holes I would suspect someone swapped them .

This is a 97 and look at the bottom rear of the fork tube ..........drain holes

More by VIN number than year of registration.  That 97 bike could have been sat around for quite a while.

Mudhen

I was able to get the bottom bolt out by putting pressure on the spring...then found a couple 30mm nuts (VW Rabbit axle nuts maybe?) and some pipe lying around and made up a tool to hold it for the rebuild.

But what about a tool to tap the top bushing back in place?  What did you guys use to do that?  Probably head down to the hardware store and see if any kind of pipe jumps off the shelf...

Thanks again.
\'96 Steamer

rf9rider

To replace top bushes i used some plastic water pipe and a wooden mallet.

Mudhen

Quote from: "rf9rider"To replace top bushes i used some plastic water pipe and a wooden mallet.

Awesome - thanks!
\'96 Steamer