News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stalling...

Started by paulie, June 06, 2011, 06:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulie

Got my bike back from the dealer after doing both the 12k and 24k services at once. Yes, I'm a slacker and didn't do the 12k until almost 20k. Did the 24k too since they'll have had everything apart anyway. Valves were good, no shims needed. My wallet hates me but the bike definitely feels better overall, with one exception.

When the bike is hot, it seems to stall out every now and then. I can't replicate it every time. But it usually happens when coming to a stoplight, and coasting with the clutch pulled in. The RPMs drop then the bike just quits. No throttle input. It always starts right back up, no issues w/ starting it seems.

The other instance it stalls in is when I'm downshifting, I sometimes will downshift 2 or 3 gears at a time then blip the throttle to rev match. Sometimes my foot isnt fast and the RPMs hit idle. In these instances it does stay running at idle. But then I blip the throttle as normal from what is essentially engine idle, and boom, instant stall. When it does happen, the revs do not come up at all when I blip, it just quits immediately.

My "blip" usually consist of giving it anywhere from 25-50% throttle, depending on where I need the revs to be at. I do blip the throttle pretty quickly when I do this.

As mentioned the bike always starts right back up and is fine. I can't seem to replicate it all the time either, I've tried.

And it doesn't do this when the engine is cold, or at least it hasn't done it yet. I've tried replicating the issue with a cold engine and can't make it happen.

I should mention too that when hot, the bike seems to take a bit longer to find the right idle RPM when I pull in the clutch. It seems to drop to almost nothing before kicking back up into the normal idle. It didn't do this before taking it in.

My stupid brain wants to think that maybe they just set the idle too low or something. Right now when it's hot it sits at 1100 or so. Right above 1k.

I do plan on taking it back to the dealer after work tomorrow (I'd do it today but it's 45 min away and have a commitment), and hopefully they will take a look for free since this didn't happen until they put their mitts on the bike. But I do know that I don't want to give them any more money as I already feel like I'd been taken for a ride to the tune of $190/hour for labor. Ouchie.

Any ideas?
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

Bixxer Bob

Sounds like they reset the trims.  If they did it'll sort itself out in a few miles if they didn't eff with anything else.

If you have no luck with them, try the 12 minute tune and then go for a blast.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HockleyBoy

May not be connected at all but I had similar problems just before my Reg Rec failed, charge and electrics were all fine when the bike was cold and garage could find no problems, when tested with the engine hot the problems became apparent.

Replaced the Reg Rec with one form Electrex world and did the Sasquatch voltage fix and havent had that nervous feeling when pulling up to traffic lights since :D
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

DaFool

Quote from: "HockleyBoy"Replaced the Reg Rec with one form Electrex world

:?: :?:  :?:  :?:

HockleyBoy

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Patman1200

I have had this a fair bit in the past and traced it to the clutch. I adjusted the cable so that the clutch bites further away from the handlebars, thus it is definitely dis-engaged when I pull in the lever.
2001 Tiger 955i - Stock
1998 Bandit 1200 - Holeshot Stage 1 kit
2000 TTR 250 - Mud machine
1996 Bandit 400 vv - Screamer

paulie

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Sounds like they reset the trims.  If they did it'll sort itself out in a few miles if they didn't eff with anything else.

If you have no luck with them, try the 12 minute tune and then go for a blast.

DINGDINGDING! Bob had it right

Dealer confirmed it was trim settings. He threw the little tool into the plug under the seat and 5 minutes later all was well.

Adjusting those settings seems to have solidified my idle too. It seems to idle much smoother now.

Dealer also mentioned that if it continues after this action, it's likely a leak in the stepper motor housing, which evidently is two plastic bits mated with a vibration process, and are prone to fail. Or so I'm told.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "paulie"Dealer also mentioned that if it continues after this action, it's likely a leak in the stepper motor housing, which evidently is two plastic bits mated with a vibration process, and are prone to fail. Or so I'm told.

That's another one for the book, I've not heard that one before  :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...