News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Starts cold, then dies warm

Started by Rocinante, April 05, 2011, 07:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocinante

Rocinante´s back again, again! :)

The Nologys did it. I took her for a 45 minutes spin today and it ran like a eh cat.

Thanks for the help and especially Mustang who was spot on, to no surprise.  :bowdown

A self trained mechanic claimed that when one coil fails it influences the others and can make all three cylinders run badly. Can this be true?

This is also the first ride with the new head in place, and I wonder how long I should ride like a priest before it´s run in. Anybody?
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

Mustang

used head ? .................if yes it's run in . It's time to show the old girl what 8500 feels like again  :D

Rocinante

Yes used. But the cam shafts were taken from the old head. Don´t they need to wear in?
www.dagjen.no

Mustang

it's ready to be treated to 85oo.................... :lol:

Rocinante

Quote from: "Mustang"it's ready to be treated to 85oo.................... :lol:

Oukidouk, we´ll see.

Took her for another run today, and a couple of issues:

The temperature is in general much higher than it used to be. For years it has stayed around minimum (second line) under normal driving, and now it stays right in the middle of the range like you would expect. I remember someone saying some time in the past that it runs cool, so I never bothered to check it, but could it be that taking the thermostat off and putting it back on has made it open and close again, like it´s supposed to do, and that in the past it has stuck open? Just wonder, since the way it behaves now is the way one would expect.

Another issue. After a short stop it would only start on two cylinders, and when I stopped the engine after a minute or so, gas poured out on the left side of the air box (through the junction between the box and the left air reservoir). After sitting for a long time I fired it up again and it ran on all three again, and no more gas pouring out.
Stucked float? Then the debris passed through, and that´s it? Could be a result of much work done to the bike, shaking particles loose here and there?
The manner in which it ran on two cylinders were not like when the coils failed. This time it ran evenly and wouldn´t stop. So I don´t think there´s a connection.
www.dagjen.no

Mustang

yes the fuel pouring out was a stuck float and the lumpy running was from a flooded cylinder .................as far as the heat thing ......did you use your old temp sensor that was in your other head or did the replacement head have a sensor in it already and you went with that .
because if you are using a different temp sensor than the original , that where the two different readings are coming from .
I have found that even brand new replacement sensors are all over the place . I have a brand new one on the parts shelf that will show almost in the red under normal conditions , swap the sensor with one from another bike and the gauge will read something completely different .
I think you are ok , it's just the variation in the temp sensors .
Let er rip 8500 is calling the old BRG beast

Rocinante

Quote from: "Mustang"......did you use your old temp sensor...

Ah, no I didn´t of course, I used the one on the new head. I think I´ll keep it, since it seems more correct the way it is now.

Good, 8500 not far away...
www.dagjen.no

Rocinante

Quote from: "Mustang"it's ready to be treated to 85oo.................... :lol:

Check!  :twisted:
www.dagjen.no