News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Head Gasket

Started by DobroDog, July 24, 2011, 06:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DobroDog

Tiger was using more oil than usual. Did a compression check and Cylinders #2 and 3 came in at 140 and 145. Cylinder #1 came in at 120.

A leak down test on #1 had air escaping into the coolant system...Common sense says head gasket. I do have the coolant system drained as I am waiting for new hoses. This would be the 2nd one in 2 years and 15,000 miles. I had the head milled with the first one. The dealer that did the work fell victim to the recession. So I am on my on with this one.

Could it be something other than the head gasket?

Why wasn't the bike loosing coolant?

If it is the head gasket, why two in two years?

Thanks

Tim
DobroDog

Timbox2

Is this an 885i?, If it is think it was a problem with many.
2016 Tiger Sport

DobroDog

Quote from: "Timbox2"Is this an 885i?, If it is think it was a problem with many.

Sorry for leaving out that bit of information, it is a 2001 955.
DobroDog

ChazzyB

FWIW, some bikes do use oil. Mine (2003) has since I bought it at 23K miles, now up to 50K miles (will be, next week). Average consumption is around 1 litre per 1000 miles, possibly higher if I'm out caning it. Bit of a PITA on longer trips, but my usual riding pattern sees perhaps 200 miles a week-end, and a top-up in between. A chum has 70K miles on his 2001 955i Tiger - his has a similar oil habit too.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

DobroDog

Quote from: "ChazzyB"FWIW, some bikes do use oil. Mine (2003) has since I bought it at 23K miles, now up to 50K miles (will be, next week). Average consumption is around 1 litre per 1000 miles, possibly higher if I'm out caning it. Bit of a PITA on longer trips, but my usual riding pattern sees perhaps 200 miles a week-end, and a top-up in between. A chum has 70K miles on his 2001 955i Tiger - his has a similar oil habit too.

Thanks. Used a quart in 1200 miles of riding in the central Sierra Nevada mountains of CA. Two mountain passes and half a day riding in Death Valley. If the compression test good once the head gasket is replaced I won't worry too much about it.
DobroDog

Timbox2

Mines started to use a bit of oil too, up to the 30k service it didnt use any, Im now approaching 50k and its about a litre between services.
2016 Tiger Sport

DobroDog

Quote from: "Timbox2"Mines started to use a bit of oil too, up to the 30k service it didnt use any, Im now approaching 50k and its about a litre between services.

Thanks Timbox2

Will retest compression by squirting some oil in the cylinders to see if there is much loss at the rings. If the rings and valves are good then the assumption would be oil slipping past the valve stem seals.

DobroDog
DobroDog