News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New vibe, any suggestions

Started by hooligan971, June 04, 2011, 01:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooligan971

I rode to work this morning and about a mile from home the bike started with a new vibration at about 4000 rpm and up. It's a buzzy vibe that's not just in the bars and when I let off the throttle and pull the clutch it stops. I'm about 300 miles before the next oil change and the oil level has gotten down to just above the add mark. Bike only has 5700 miles. All engine mounts are to spec and chain is at about 60 mm slack. Should I be worried about internals ? It's a very anoying high frequency vibration.
  Any input would be appreciated.
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

KuzzinKenny

Hey hooligan971 !! have ya checked the footpeg bolts ?? they come slack and cause vibes !! should be a thread about it somewhere !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

hooligan971

Hey Kenny,
 I have checked them and also all the engine mounts and checked torque per the manual, all are in spec.
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

rf9rider

Wheels/tyres balanced ok?

Might have lost a wheel weight?

walker

is it 4000 rpm in every gear? just in some gears? only one gear?

things that could cause odd vibrations (there are others too):

tire pressure
tire wear
tire balance
chain slack (did you adjust it recently? maybe it needs adjustment?)
fuel / air (bad fuel, water in the fuel, something that causes odd spark)

Did you load the bike differently? New top box or luggage? different suspension setting?

I can sometimes feel the difference of different top boxes on mine - vibrations and "wobbles" at certain speeds where there were none before.