News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bodywork repairs

Started by rf9rider, June 20, 2011, 10:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rf9rider

I`m about to start prepping my spare bodykit for a respray, although need some advice.
A few of my panels and tank have some light grazes and will need filling, any recommendations on what filler to use?
I`ve worked a lot with metal tanks etc, but not with this sort of plastic.
Some of the panels are in good condition, but have patches where the paint has peeled off,so i`m thinking i need to rub down all the panel to the bare plastic unless anyone has any tips to repair the bare areas?
Will normal primer be ok to use or am i better off using some sort of plastic primer?

Mustang

ANY paint you use should have "flex additive" added to to it . the same stuff they use to paint plastic/polyurethane car bumpers

rf9rider

Thanks Mustang, i`ll have a look for that.
Maybe i`ll prep the panels and have a pro do the paint.

jwray76

In the states you can buy the bumper paint in rattle cans at your local auto parts store. Not sure about the UK though. Another method, which I am going to use soon, is to apply bedliner type paint. It is tough, flexible, and hides imperfections (no detailed prep)  :D

BruKen

If you wish to keep the colours original and make life easy for yourself get a rattlecan of bumper primer from Halfords. Then get a colour cellulose from a reputable company such as Parry's who supply all the auto repair shops to mix up the colours. Provided its a thin celly coat you'll be fine.

However, I would suspect you may have to prep all the plastics quite thoroughly. I would expect adhesion of any paint to a molded gel coat to be iffy otherwise.

rf9rider

Cheers chaps, been having a look, seems the bumper paint is the way to go at the moment if i do it myself.
Going to take my bike around a few spray paint shops and get some idea of whats what.
Does anyone know what the actual panels etc are made from?
Sure i read someewhere its some sort of nylon rather than plastic?

Mustang

they are made by Acerbis , so nylon or polyurethane would be my guess.
probably nylon the way they shrink with old age  :shock:

jwray76

Quote from: "Mustang"the way they shrink with old age  :shock:

Thats what she said  :wink:

Mustang

Quote from: "jwray76"
Quote from: "Mustang"the way they shrink with old age  :shock:

Thats what she said  :wink: