News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

extra bolts

Started by c-rad, June 06, 2011, 10:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c-rad

Yeah, um, I have a bit of an embarassing problem.  After the winter maintenance (fork oil, brake discs & pads, ignition pick-up, dash LEDs) I found a couple extra bolts on the bench that sure look like they came from the Tiger ('93).

Is there a chance that anyone recognizes these little rascals?  I have reason to believe that the Torx-drive one was removed with my flex-head ratched wrench (tight spot?), and the hex-head one was pretty rusty before I cleaned it up and painted it (low spot?).

Both are M8, and they're 10mm and 14mm long respectively.

Kind of saps the fun out of the ride when I'm wondering where those bolts might have gone.

BTW, I live in Laramie (WY) now.  Look me up on campus (University of Wyoming) if you're ever in town and need a hand.

Thanks, Conrad Vogel

Nick Calne

both looking a little tired, maybe it's the tiger telling you to replace them.  I'll have a look around the bike see if I can help.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Nick Calne

One on the left of the photo. The regular one.  That COULD be from the following location.... right hand side of the bike, on the back of the engine, level with the carbs, theres a circular piece that's held on with two small stainless steel allen head bolts and one biggish M8ish regular bolt with a flange.....  Maybe maybe...

Seen the other one so many times but can't see it without taking the bike out of the garage for a better look.

Don't worry someone competent will be along soon.... :oops:
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

MtheTiger

mmm I'll take a shot
couldn't the left one B the one to screw the chainguard on?
And the right one to bolt the chain slider (the little one with the bracket) on?
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

c-rad

Thanks for the good ideas.  Those bolts are similar to the ones I have in hand but no empty holes.  I've spent several hours looking at the bike since I found the renegade bolts, hoping that insiration would strike.  The bolt locations may be hidden fairly deep.  I'll start removing body work this weekend and have another look under the instrument panel.  I still suspect the front end since I had the fork tubes out for draining.  It's just such a process is get under there.  Oh well, at least I'm getting pretty fast at the tear-down.  Thanks again, Conrad

Sin_Tiger

If the hex head on the right is 12mm a/f then it might well be a frame or subframe or rear brake cover / bracket screw
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint