News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help please, 955 running poorly

Started by hansi, August 23, 2011, 04:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hansi

My 03 Girly, 20 000 miles, is idling low, sometimes stalls when moving off, lots of popping on decel. Happens only when bike is hot and ambient temps are 85 degrees and more. Also will just die while driving for a split second, dash lights coming on, than catch again and off we go again.  Thinking two unrelated issues??? Dying while moving could be side stand safety switch??
Low idle, popping on decel O2 sensor???   :?
Any ideas?

Timbox2

Bit of background info my friend.

Is this something that has just started happening or has the bike just come out of winter hybernation?

have you recently done any work on the bike?

handy if you had Tune ECU as maybe there is a fault code stored.

Just going on low idle and popping /cutting out, I would probably be looking at the Idle Stepper Motor/ Hoses, but its really difficult to guess.
2016 Tiger Sport

hansi

Timbox2:   Bike never gets stored, we can ride here year round. Nothing done to the bike except oil change.
Low idle , popping on decel and stalling started about for weeks/700 miles ago but only if its hot .
Cutting out while riding just started happening last week/300 miles ago, seems  not to be related to ambient temp and increasing in frequency.
Where do I get Tune ECU and what is the procedure to check for codes??
Thanks for the reply

Bixxer Bob

You get Tune ECU by READING THE STICKY LABELLED TUNE ECU!!!!! :BangHead

Timbox is right regarding looking for air leaks around the IACV and hoses(or it not working) but given the temp issue, maybe crank sensor.  Does the rev counter drop to zero when it cuts out while the engine is still spinning?  Could also be low battery, Girlies run crap if the battery isn't tip top.

Lots of things to think about so start with the cheap stuff (ie the air hoses) - don't buy anything you don't have to.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

Mine used to stall sometimes when coming off the throttle at times when I thought it was hot....but as the guage rarely goes over the first line its hard to tell.
Eventually it died completely and a fault was traced to clutch switch wiring loom, it has`nt stalled since...so it was probably just a coinsidence that it was warm.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

hansi

Did a 300+mile run yesterday after doing the 12min sensor (?) reset. Really did not change anything, when hot outside still rough, low idle, bike cutting out. Did last part of the ride in the dark and noticed headlights flickering off and on, more pronounced before a cutout. The cutting out is like somebody hitting the killswitch for a half second, no matter if bike is at part throttle or just idling. The low fuel light and the Check Engine light illuminate, then the motor usually comes right back on and lights go out. At idle motor just dies.   Battery is good, voltage at the battery is almost 14Volt after start at idle, then settling down to 12.8V at idle after a couple of minutes. Could it be a bad ground somewhere that is causing these problems? Intermittent regulator problem?  Low voltage to the ECU? :?

Mustang

sounds to me like it could be the typical wiring harness fault that girlies suffer from near the key switch or the switch itself ....

Dred

Sounds like key switch.

If so, it will only get progressively worse.

Choices ... find a wiring diagram and wire around the short, or pull the switch assembly and repair or replace.

hansi

Looks like I found the culprit for the cutting out and flickering headlights. Feel now rather stupid, did not think about  looking at the obvious/ simple stuff. It was a loose negative battery connection.
  :oops:
I don't believe that this loose connection is the cause for the rough/low idle and sometimes stalling in hot weather. To solve that problem I downloaded tune ECU and have a computer to bike cable coming from the UK.

Thanks for all the help from you guys.

Bixxer Bob

Like I said, easy stuff first.

Sorry for shouting :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...