News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

coolant level...

Started by NeilD, September 12, 2011, 04:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilD

the BBB (thats Big Black B'stard) has been chucking out coolant each time I've ridden it, when I turn it off..
I'm assuming its the common rad cap/air in the system problem, however the bloke I bought it off insists that 'its just finding its own level'.. :roll:
the only way that coolant stays in the resevoir is if when its cold there is about half an inch in the bottom.. to my mind thats far to low to be 'normal', especially as even at this level when you turn it off the coolant level fills to the top of the resevoir, without actually spilling out..

ChazzyB

I'm not an expert, but I'd guess air in the system. I'd be inclined to pull the tank and fill it properly. There's a bleed screw on the thermostat housing, the other side of the 'stat from the filler/rad cap.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Bixxer Bob

The Girlies are difficult to burp Neil so Chazzy's advice is good.  Mine doesn't puke and the level is about half way up the header bottle (if she's stood upright, obviously..)

If it was more than air in the system, it'd empty itself pretty rapidly.  Probably, the air in the system causes it to puke, and then it draws in more air through the empty bottle when it cools?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

daveb

I had the same problem earlier this year, dropped the fluid and repaced it, found out the rad cap was failing.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ht=coolant

Chris Canning

Quote from: "NeilD"the BBB (thats Big Black B'stard) has been chucking out coolant each time I've ridden it, when I turn it off..
I'm assuming its the common rad cap/air in the system problem, however the bloke I bought it off insists that 'its just finding its own level'.. :roll:
the only way that coolant stays in the resevoir is if when its cold there is about half an inch in the bottom.. to my mind thats far to low to be 'normal', especially as even at this level when you turn it off the coolant level fills to the top of the resevoir, without actually spilling out..

The mans telling you tosh,strip the tank off drain the fluid,new rad cap,but I see the words were 'fill it properly' that means slowly and I mean slow,give time to to burp itself just in case,fill up to the rad cap,fit rad cap and then fill the header tank,easy peazy,only gets complicated if you try to rush it.

Timbox2

Quote from: "Chris Canning"
Quote from: "NeilD"the BBB (thats Big Black B'stard) has been chucking out coolant each time I've ridden it, when I turn it off..

The mans telling you tosh,strip the tank off drain the fluid,new rad cap,but I see the words were 'fill it properly' that means slowly and I mean slow,give time to to burp itself just in case,fill up to the rad cap,fit rad cap and then fill the header tank,easy peazy,only gets complicated if you try to rush it.

+1, and dont be tempted to search out a comparable car rad cap, you'll only save yourself a few quid and can be more trouble than its worth, I had to have 2 new caps in my ownership of 18 months, though I did pile the mileage on. I took a good 15 to 20 minutes  to refill the system, stopping every now and then to allow air pockets to get out.
2016 Tiger Sport

metalguru

:iagree

+1 The only way forward.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

NeilD

Quote from: "Chris Canning"The mans telling you tosh......

yep. and have given up trying to comvince him otherwise and ordered a radiator cap..  :D