News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Headlight aiming and lousy headlights.

Started by Kraftsman 73, September 05, 2011, 04:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kraftsman 73

Rode my bike home for a late day at work.  Sun had set so this was the first ride in the dark.  Sadly the ride was dark all the way home.  As many know, headlights are lousy.  Plus the left headlight is aimed off center.  Looking at the online Tiger Service manual on page 313, I see what I believe are aiming adjustment screws.  Threaded on one end, rod with ball on other end with a hex in the middle for a wrench.
First, is this the adjusters for the headlights?  
If yes, what is involved in accessing the adjusters?

Lastly, what can I do to improve the lousy headlights?  PO installed APC Ultra White Xenon bulbs.  Mediocre at best.
Any other suggestion?
After this post I am off to buy fasteners to mount a set of 55 watt lights I bought at Wal-Mart that will mount on the crash bars.
Thanks in advance,
Kraftsman 73

Danny955i

Anything sylvania in a 55-65w will work... Just get the highest wattage that will fit, dont get sucked into color.

Also, you can reach two adjusters with your hand behind each light for left and right. They should have finger cranks on them. Youll have to remove the front blinlers and cowell to get at the up/down cranks in the top center of the lights. They are prety inaccurate and you may have to apply pressure to the lense to feel/help them into position.

ChazzyB

Quote from: "Danny955i"Anything sylvania in a 55-65w will work... Just get the highest wattage that will fit, dont get sucked into color.

Also, you can reach two adjusters with your hand behind each light for left and right. They should have finger cranks on them. Youll have to remove the front blinlers and cowell to get at the up/down cranks in the top center of the lights. They are prety inaccurate and you may have to apply pressure to the lense to feel/help them into position.

Unless I'm completely barking, I think the Triumph documentation is wrong about the headlight adjusters. The lower ones with the plastic knobs are the vertical up/down aim. Take the fairing off and work it out... which is how I adjusted mine - riding around locally at night with the fairing off.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

daveb

with the crap headlight, has the mod been done to bring on both lights at main and hi-beam? it involves buying a couple of relays.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... t&start=20

PeteH

Quote from: "Kraftsman 73"Lastly, what can I do to improve the lousy headlights?  PO installed APC Ultra White Xenon bulbs.

Got a pair of Ultra Whites in mine absolutely no complaints...well, apart from cagers who I seem to blind even in daylight :lol:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Kraftsman 73

Quote from: "PeteH"
Quote from: "Kraftsman 73"Lastly, what can I do to improve the lousy headlights?  PO installed APC Ultra White Xenon bulbs.

Got a pair of Ultra Whites in mine absolutely no complaints...well, apart from cagers who I seem to blind even in daylight :lol:

They don't seem to be blind, they are blind.  Their vision drops off juuust beyond the perimeter of their vehicle.  
That blindness is do to simple not looking and being distracted.  I've had to evade cagers when they decide to join me in my lane.  This includes when I am riding my YELLOW GL1800 Goldwing whilst wearing my YELLOW helmet and riding gear.
Remember fellow riders, situational awareness at all times.

metalguru

Went to my local cage crusher and relieved a car of some relays. This once installed entitled both headlamps. The next part is not entirely legal, on ebay I found some H4 100/80W lamps for about £5 the pair. No need for expensive add on lamps as these are literally brilliant. Higher wattage lamps are available but may harm the reflector, also the charging system has to be in good condition.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

iansoady

Quote from: "metalguru"...relieved a car of some relays. This once installed entitled both headlamps. ....

The only thing to check is that they're the right pin layout (there are 2 different ones). The wrong one will seem to work (in fact will just feed the control voltage to the lamp) but will as a side effect let the battery voltage leak away.

But I can't remember what the correct layout is......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

metalguru

Yes you are quite correct. From misty memory I think it is the 5 or 6 connection relays required, as oposed to the 4 post ones.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

iansoady

No they're still 4 connector ones - one of these:

Note that the positions of 86 & 30 are reversed.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Kraftsman 73

Quote from: "iansoady"No they're still 4 connector ones - one of these:

Are these the two relays needed to operate both headlights on low beam?  
If yes, is there a source for said relays aside from dealer?
Thanks in Advance,
Kraftsman 73

PS are these known as Single Pole Single Throw relays?  
Article states the following:
"SPST Relay  : (Single Pole Single Throw Relay) an electromagnetic switch, consist of a coil (terminals 85 & 86), 1 common terminal (30), and one normally open terminal (87)."

daveb

with the 2 relay mod, you will get both on at low bean then when you switch to Hi-beam both will also come on.

http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-mods-an ... ion-5.html

Mustang

Quote from: "Kraftsman 73"
Quote from: "iansoady"No they're still 4 connector ones - one of these:

Are these the two relays needed to operate both headlights on low beam?  
If yes, is there a source for said relays aside from dealer?
Thanks in Advance,
Kraftsman 73

PS are these known as Single Pole Single Throw relays?  
Article states the following:
"SPST Relay  : (Single Pole Single Throw Relay) an electromagnetic switch, consist of a coil (terminals 85 & 86), 1 common terminal (30), and one normally open terminal (87)."

USA models should have both relays already fitted and both headlights should be on

TigerTrax

Quit screwing around...
You will always have a 'hole in the middle of your path of travel...

I close up the garage and cap one light while I adjust the other. It takes forever.... adjust for LOW ... and your HIGHS are screwed up. It's a
Triumph engineer's folly!

I decided go brighter and flood the whole damned area!

Buy a set of HID with mini-ballasts from DDM Tuning ( USA ).

They have 2 options....
32watt LOW side ( plenty bright )
or
32 watt LOW side + extra harness for 'flash-to-pass'.

I bought option number 1 ... now returning for option #2.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'