News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New to me steamer

Started by 97steamer, September 19, 2011, 09:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

I have emulators and new springs on the hack and under hard brake I can still get the nose of the chair down pretty low .  :wink:

97steamer

Quote from: 97steamerMany thanks for that info.

I have now had a chance to take the bike for an extended run on a variety of roads. I have the following observations and questions;

1. The brakes are shite - the front one is so soft the lever hits the grip. The rear is better but very soft. I suspect the original fluid and will replace with new.

Changed the front and rear fluids - as suspected it looked like the original stuff. Brakes much firmer but still a bit spongy. Also the diaphragm on the front reservoir is shot and needs replacing. Will change the lines and overhaul in due course.

2. Handles very weird at times - a 50mph smooth bend is fine, a 90 degree junction at around 10mph and it doesn't want to change direction at all. Tyres are original but well worn and it could just be pressures - haven't checked yet. The whole bike feels bouncy and not taught - will fiddle with suspension settings.

Tyres were slightly under inflated - have set to 33psi front and rear. Handling much improved :-)

7. Strong smell of petrol on cold startup which sounds like the carbs need some attention - is there a rebuild kit?

Petrol smell was noticeable every time the bike came to a halt. No overflow at idle though so may just be an o ring or seal somewhere.

Had an hours run round the countryside this evening and the bike is growing on me. Confidence much improved with tyre pressures and it's quite 'chuckable'.

I'm still concerned about the rattly engine though - is there anyone in south east UK (Kent/sussex/essex) willing to let me listen to their steamer for comparison?

metalguru

I am near Ashford,Kent, if I can help give me a shout and i'll put the kettle on.
Used to have a steamer and still have an Adventurer (same engine).
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

97steamer

Many thanks. Its a bit cheekey but is there any chance of popping over tomorrow at all?

metalguru

Not cheeky at all....PM sent.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Rapier

Another fine demonstration on why this site is excelent!
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

rf9rider

Your petrol smell might be the fuel tap leaking, its a common fault.
A cheap fix with another tap from a Yamaha!

97steamer

Many many public thanks to metalguru who truly lived up to his name!

Pretty much a whole day spent sorting my Steamer - I would never have thought that balancing the carbs could reduce the engine noise so much! And the rear brake and disc is now awesome.

Aside from the little (ahem) issue with some kind of fuel/air lock, I learnt a load today and its given me confidence to tackle working on the bike and also confirmed that the bike seems a good un.

Much respect  :D

metalguru

Thank you for your kind words, glad to help.

As for the vapour lock and the alarm maladies.................
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Colonel Nikolai

Check the date on the tyres, too. I had a set of Dunlop Trailmax on mine when I got them that were over 7 years old. I could lock up either wheel without much effort, scared the hell out of me. When I replaced them, the whole bike became much more predictable and reliable suspension-wise.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

97steamer

Very timely! Seeing as the weather in UK today was forecast as gorgeous, I decided to (ahem) work from home. This entailed getting two new Tourances fitted, re-routing the throttle cable and cleaning/lubing the chain.

After lunch, I took the beast for a 130 mile meander up the Essex and Suffolk coasts stopping for ice cream and fish n chips en route. I'm getting to like this bike a lot.

Sure it ain't no Pan European or 1200RT but I could see myself having a very pleasant amble around France next summer. Sod the auto-routes and my usual high speed blat to warmer climes - a gentle wander through isolated villages stopping at the odd bar-tabac or cafe. Or maybe even a jaunt up to the west coast of Scotland to do the islands in the springtime.

Ooer, I'm getting all misty eyed now  :oops:

theclowncrusty

If you can wait till the end of May when i am on holiday, i will do the coast of Scotland with you. Anyone else up for it?
Mark

97steamer

End of May is cool with me, I've got some leeway.

theclowncrusty

Sounds like a plan.......