News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chug

Started by tett, September 27, 2011, 12:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tett

Small problem occurs with my Girly once in a while.  Riding along smoothly when she decides to chug.  All of a sudden she will loose power for a split second.  This happens about 4 or 5 times in a row.  The engine light comes on.  Then this stops and all is fine with my Girly running like a top.

This has happened about 4 times.  Each time she will run for ~1000 km's before happening again.  The light goes out after a few cycles and then she just runs great.

Any ideas?  Will change the fuel filter this winter but it just dosen't sound like a fuel filter problem since this is intermittent over a long period of time.

Any help would be really appreciated.

tett
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

iansoady

Loose battery connection(s)?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

TigerTrax

Better open up your ignition switch ... probably cracked solder joints.
You will probably see evidence of arcing.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Patman1200

Connect to the OBD port and get the fault code. It should tell you what the brains saw the fault as. Most likely something Open or Closed circuit as it lost a sensor for a few seconds.
2001 Tiger 955i - Stock
1998 Bandit 1200 - Holeshot Stage 1 kit
2000 TTR 250 - Mud machine
1996 Bandit 400 vv - Screamer

tett

Thanks!  I will clean up the connections this winter.  Not sure if that is the problem but a good idea to open up the key switch and make sure all is well soldered.

tett

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Better open up your ignition switch ... probably cracked solder joints.
You will probably see evidence of arcing.
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

tett

Thanks!  Will also check this.

tett

Quote from: "iansoady"Loose battery connection(s)?
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

tett

OK, how does one "connect to the OBD port"?  What are the best (cheap too) tools to get to read the diagnostics.  

Thanks for your help.

tett

Quote from: "Patman1200"Connect to the OBD port and get the fault code. It should tell you what the brains saw the fault as. Most likely something Open or Closed circuit as it lost a sensor for a few seconds.
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

Patman1200

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,8852 for the ultimate guide.

Basically you get an OBD (On Board Diagnostics) reader, connect it to the OBD port under the seat and read off the fault codes that get listed on the OBD reader. Then google the fault code.
2001 Tiger 955i - Stock

Patman1200

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,8852 for the ultimate guide.

Basically you get an OBD (On Board Diagnostics) reader, connect it to the OBD port under the seat and read off the fault codes that get listed on the OBD reader. Then google the fault code.
2001 Tiger 955i - Stock

hansi

My 03 did the same thing at 20.000 miles. Turned out to be the negative battery connection!!