News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Girly giving me grief

Started by Crazylegs, October 13, 2011, 07:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazylegs

Hi, I bought a '99 Girly last week and while first riding it, I noticed the low RPM surging problem mentioned in other threads but I figured it was no big problem. I put about 1200 otherwise trouble free kms on the bike until yesterday when riding back from getting new tires installed. The bike would bog when pulling away from a stop and started backfiring at almost any load or throttle position and the bike started to feel as though it was running on only 1 or 2 cylinders. Eventually this lack of power and bogging started happening at all speeds and RPMs. Every once in a while it would start to feel normal for a second while up to speed but then symptoms seemed to return just as quickly. There are 28000kms on the bike and the PO gave me paperwork from the last maintenance it had which included valve check/adjustment and TB set up. I also noticed a small amount of oil dripping from the left side of the bike possibly from near the drive sprocket but have yet to clean up the mess and trace the exact source. I have limited knowledge of fuel mapping etc. and as a new owner, I have no diagnostic tools to search for faults or do readings. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be very thankful.

Bixxer Bob

I'd use the search button, or read back through any of the threads that read like "Girly giving me grief, not running right" etc etc

Most of the symptoms are similar to yours and the fix is always the same ie air leaks around the IACV or the IACV itself.  But first, your battery is fully charged and the charging system working properly I assume?  Girlies hate low batteries and give symptoms like bogging, popping etc.

We have Tiger owners all over the planet so, please fill in some of your profile so we at least know where you are  :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Crazylegs

Thanks for the pointers Bixxer. I read through a few threads and took what you said in them very seriously. You sure have a wealth of knowledge. I guess after buying the bike and then having it almost not get me home, I was upset  :cry: So I sulked and turned on the computer instead of trying to diagnose my new bike. I'll look into the things you touched on and start getting more intimate, shall we say, with my new kitty. :D  :oops:  

Oh, and I'll go fill out more of my profile now that I have stopped panicking.  :lol:

PeteH

Quote from: "Crazylegs"I also noticed a small amount of oil dripping from the left side of the bike possibly from near the drive sprocket but have yet to clean up the mess and trace the exact source.

Cant help with your other problems as they aint happened to me yet, but any oily gloop from the front sprocket area could just be that the cover needs a good clean out. Remove the 5 hex bolts... remove cover and check out the ammount of congealed crud deposited..
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

oxnsox

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"But first, your battery is fully charged and the charging system working properly I assume?  Girlies hate low batteries and give symptoms like bogging, popping etc. :wink:
+1 While you've got the seat off check the battery connections too.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtrdrms

Hey there,
Took me a while to figure out that the little corrugated hoses that go from the throttle bodies to the IAC were cracked and sucking in air and causing a super lean condition.  Might be something to replace while your in there...
1999 Tiger (approx 53k miles)

"To reject the part of the buddha that attends to the analysis of motorcycles is to miss the buddha entirely."
-Robert Pirsig

Crazylegs

Thanks for all the tips!

I've been researching quite a bit on the forum and have to say that it is the most informative source I have ever seen. Kudos to all that contribute. I washed the bike up (I hate working on a dirty bike), and quickly checked the easy stuff ( battery terminals etc.) Now about to go out and dig deeper for air leaks etc. Thanks again for all the advice, I'll post and results once I find anything.

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Danny955i

Check your coil pack connections...

Crazylegs

Well after digging around and pulling the plugs it seems as though one electrode had, shall we say, gone missing. The worry now was, was it still inside the cylinder and had it caused any damage. Also two of the three drain holes were plugged so water was sitting around one plug and oil from a valve cover leak around the other. All was fixed up with some cleaning and a new gasket. A compression test showed good and no unwanted traces of spark plugs were found inside the engine.... maybe passed through the exhaust. :?  :) With new plugs and a reset from the Triumph dealer on the "tool", my kitty is now purring smoothly again and seems to have gained back her growl. Now I'm just waiting for the weather to clear a bit so I can really stretch her legs! :wink: Thanks again for all that helped steer me in the right direction and for the pointers.

Bixxer Bob

Great feedback CL.  It's easy to jump to conclusions when faults are described on a forum because you aren't there listening to the problem (or looking at it )  Yours has been an unusual one, but worth adding to the list of possible probs when running rough.

What we didn't pick up from your description was that it was only running on two pots - easily identified by checking the exhaust header pipe temps (but not touching them with flesh, obviously).  That would've led to a different set of suggestions.

It's sorted, that's the main thing  :wink:

iansoady

Quote from: "Crazylegs"Well after digging around and pulling the plugs it seems as though one electrode had, shall we say, gone missing.

ISTR someone else either here or on triumphrat had a similar problem a little while ago. AFAIK there were no long term problems.

Glad it's sorted though.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Crazylegs

:lol: Well I guess I can chalk this up to experience..... Less whining and more trouble shooting (maybe I wouldn't have missed the cold pipe)! And before I jump to conclusions in a panic, I should take a deep breath and check out the basics. That being said, I still haven't been able to take her for a good run so I don't know if it still surges.... not that it bothers me too much anyway and there is a crap load of advice on here to follow if it does need "tweaking". My KLR riding buddy will not be too pleased to know Kitty is firing on all cylinders and back to full steam..... he was liking the fact he could keep up to me and not have to rev the snot out of his single!   :P