News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Turn indicator problems

Started by kraftykarper, November 28, 2011, 10:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kraftykarper

Hi Guys,
As the weather has turned colder I decided to do some "tinkering" with the tiger and fitted those 80% brighter Philips extreme power headlight bulbs. Yes they do seem a bit brighter.

After replacing all the bits I thought, ok lets check the indicators, flashed all ok left and right, until I thought, now lets turn the handlebars to the right, oh oh the indicator stopped flashing. Returned the bars straight forward, started flashing ok again.

So this weekend took all the bits off again looking for loose connections. Didnt find any!

However finaly discovered it was the wiring, as it exits the ignition key, lock assembly, is put under pressure by another set of wiring as you turn the bars to the right. So I think I might have a loose wire in the ignition switch.

Has anyone ever replaced/repaired 1 of these, how difficult is it gonna be?

Mines an 07 955i with 20,000 on the clock. The fault was always probably there, just never tested the indicators like this before!!

Moral of the story is, whilst "tinkering" is probably only illegal if it involves animals and small people, if it aint broke, don't fix it!! LOL

PeteH

As you probably dont need to turn the bars whilst turning, best leave it alone :wink:

From what I`ve read on these Forums you will need a special tool to remove the bolts that hold the ignition switch in place, as they`re anti tamper.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

rf9rider

Those anti tamper bolts have been real easy to get out on the previous 3 Tigers i`ve changed.
Once you`ve got the top yoke off, you`ll need a small hex socket, it`s either 4mm or 5mm, tap the socket onto the bolts and undo.
Hardest part of the job (on Steamers) is removing the tank to turn the yoke to get it off, as the ignition switch has a lip on it.

kraftykarper

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at it, and go carefully. However the service and mot are due in March, and if I haven't fixed it by then I'll ask my chap who does the servicing to take a look.

As you say, unless your moving very slowly, you don't actually turn the handlebars whilst turning.

Theres just a loose connection there somewhere thats only affected when the bars are turned to the right. On the Sprint theres more space under the ignition switch, so the wiring loom is free to move about. Nothing catches it.