News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

the reason why I've not ridden for a month...

Started by Bixxer Bob, December 14, 2011, 02:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Is I've been installing central heating in our cottage.  Foolishly, I was tempted by the speed and simplicity of "modern" methods ie plastic piping as opposed to copper, specially as you can do really long lengths under floors with no joints.  But after days of wrestling 25 metre coils of 22mm pipe (think python crossed with a boa constrictor)  I'm NEVER using the b*&*£EW$% stuff again.  It's hard to straighten, doesn't stay straight, looks bloody aweful in place (I'll be boxing in most of it fortunately) and sags with the heat meaning more clamps needed.  :BangHead

The only bits that look anywhere near good are the areas where I had to use copper eg formed bends etc. Not happy :?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

A man of your talents defeated by a bit of plastic pipe  :shock:

Done the four rooms that its possible to do, using the styrene type base, tricky but it's balancing the flows to the different circuits that tried my patience.

Rewarding both financially and comfort wise at the end of the day.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

NKL

I too hate plastic pipe, always use copper if I can.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Spud

Ludites  :roll:   .... plastics the future don't you know. No worries about brazing simple to bend around things, self insulated. What's not to like? Oh forgot easy to clip together and no where near the cost of copper.

The copper now a days is waffer thin compared to the old pipes in the house I am refurbishing...... and I've not bloody ridden since september  :shock:  ...... hope she's happy  :evil:  

cheers Spud

Tigertriple

Underfloor heating. A subject close to my heart as I used to sell it about 10 years ago. To install it easily you need a pipe warmer to make the pipes more pliable otherwise they are a nightmare to lay down. A bit like trying to fit cold tyres.

Also using a Isowarm type insulation board which has castleations which hold the pipes rather than just clips makes for an easy installation.

Anyway by the sounds of things the jobs done.
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Spud"Ludites  :roll:   .. No worries about brazing simple to bend around things..

so simple that you can split it if you areworking blind eg under the bath (DAMHIKIJFK).  Did I mention that when the 'registered engineer' was commissioning the boiler he left it in service mode while he nipped out to his van thus running the pipe temp up to 90 deg when the plastic's only rated to 65? God knows what the long term effect of that is going to be :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...