News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

High Mileage Tiger

Started by DeuceBG, January 07, 2012, 09:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeuceBG

Hi

I'm new to the forum and would appreciate some input from those in the know here.
What sort of mileages have Tigers acheived without major surgery?
I've just bought my second one and it has 47k on it now.
Is that considered high??

Many thanks
GJ
Black 2006 955i Tiger
Denim Black 2011 Harley Streetbob bored out to 103"

rf9rider

Naah, thats barely run in!
People on here have over 150,000km on them.
As long as the motor is looked after they`ll run ok.

DeuceBG

Quote from: "rf9rider"Naah, thats barely run in!
People on here have over 150,000km on them.
As long as the motor is looked after they`ll run ok.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, it's exactly what I was hoping to hear!!

GJ
Black 2006 955i Tiger

Sin_Tiger

86k miles, and all it needed was the top end doing and in truth it would have gone over 100 without touching if PO's and idiot mechanics had left it well alone in the first place :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

DeuceBG

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"86k miles, and all it needed was the top end doing and in truth it would have gone over 100 without touching if PO's and idiot mechanics had left it well alone in the first place :roll:

Sounds promising then.
My last Tiger was back in 2004 and I had it from new.
I run HDs these days but I've been missing having a big trailie.
I considered a GS1200 but they're silly money by comparison and I've heard varying reports regarding reliability so I thought I'd go Brit again.
Did fitting the later heads to the last of the 955s make much difference to the reliability and performance etc?
Black 2006 955i Tiger

blacktiger

Mine has 65K miles on it with only the normal servicing being done.

Things I replaced on the 48K service were :-
brake discs, wheel bearings & grease seals + spacers.
Head bearings last around 30K/set.
Thermostat @ 56K.
And I installed the speedo drive wrong once which I had to replace. My fault not the component.
Apart from that the bike's solid.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

blacktiger

Quote from: "DeuceBG"Did fitting the later heads to the last of the 955s make much difference to the reliability and performance etc?

In fact it wasn't the heads that were replaced. It was the engine cases and barrels. They couldn't change the heads because the engine wouldn't have fitted into the Girly frame.
So, what the '06s got was a smoother gearbox and tidier water hoses.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

DeuceBG

Quote from: "blacktiger"
Quote from: "DeuceBG"Did fitting the later heads to the last of the 955s make much difference to the reliability and performance etc?

In fact it wasn't the heads that were replaced. It was the engine cases and barrels. They couldn't change the heads because the engine wouldn't have fitted into the Girly frame.
So, what the '06s got was a smoother gearbox and tidier water hoses.

Is that all?
That's not such a big deal then afterall.
It's odd because I've looked at several over the last few weeks and I've seen an 07 plate with the old set-up on (My 06 is the same) and I can understand that because some older bikes may have been bought and registered later but I've also seen a 55 plate with the new set-up on it.
I guess the new arrangement must have made it out in time for the 55 registration?
Either way, I take delivery next Saturday and I can't wait.
Black 2006 955i Tiger

KuzzinKenny

There's an 07 955i on sale here.....

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10718

with only 13k on it !!

KK

ps its not mine  :lol:
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

DeuceBG

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"There's an 07 955i on sale here.....

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10718

with only 13k on it !!

KK

ps its not mine  :lol:

Cheers KK but mine arrives on Saturday morning...  :D
Black 2006 955i Tiger