News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rattles ...

Started by Bixxer Bob, September 15, 2011, 11:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Last couple of days I've had more engine noise than normal.  Not sure where it's coming from yet but top of the list is cam chain.  I can only find one other post on CCTs so I'm guessing it's not such a common problem on the Girlies as on 'Birds.

She's due a big service and I'll be having the cam cover off anyway so we'll see....... :?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Thinking about it, on the 'Bird you take a blanking bolt out of the end of the CCT, wind off the ratchet device, remove it and fit a new one without going near the cam cover.  All in all about 5 mins work.  Why's the Girly CCT so much more work?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Ive not heard of much probs with the Girly 955 Engines, though interestingly its part of service check on Daytonas/Sprints.

Spoke to Sandy once at Triumphant in Wales and he actually recommended people have it swapped at 36K ( The Chain), on all 955's.

Didnt think it was too much of an issue on the girlies to change, apart from 1 of the guides where the head has to come off.
2016 Tiger Sport

metalguru

HOLD ON.... Don't just remove the CCT as the chain will jump the cam sprockets and you will end up taking the cam cover off anyway.
They do tend to 'tinkle' a bit as opposed to rattle when they are cold, probably more noticable when riding straight away from starting. When it starts rattling like an 80s honda when it's hot or pref just before that point then change out the CCT and blade.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

birdman

Help, getting ready to do a valve check on my 2000 Girly , and after reading the shop manual I still don't have a good grasp of the cam chain  adjustment process . I am starting to get a little more rattle when hot and the info from the PO tells me it's ready for  a once over . Thanks for any advice  .
What doesn\'t kill you only makes you stronger

birdman

Quote from: "birdman"Help, getting ready to do a valve check on my 2000 Girly , and after reading the shop manual I still don't have a good grasp of the cam chain  adjustment process . I am starting to get a little more rattle when hot and the info from the PO tells me it's ready for  a once over . Thanks for any advice  .
Just got back from dinner and sat down with the book again and read it more carefully , think I finally got it , but any insight from the more knowledgeful would be helpfull

Mustang

there is no adjustment you can do the tensioner does it automatically ...........the only thing you can do is replace the chain and tensioner blades when things get too loose (beyond what the tensioner is capable of )

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Mustang"there is no adjustment you can do the tensioner does it automatically ...........the only thing you can do is replace the chain and tensioner blades when things get too loose (beyond what the tensioner is capable of )

Which should be more than 21k miles FFS  :BangHead

birdman

Thanks for the help , this motor has 41 thousand miles and runs well ,I'll be looking into it soon

Bixxer Bob

Finally been inside the top end while doing the  shims and tensionee is fine. So I opened up the starter cover and all is well in there too.  It'll just have to develop a bit more.... :roll:

Chris Canning

You on about rattles(digress) because of the amount of fuel I get through I have a Shell card to collect points,have a mail come the other day telling me how many,and then a thing you can click on tells you what Shell oil to use in your bike,click on Triumph the 955 Tiger shows me 15/50w,I've used Shell for years but it ain't that,it's been 10/40 for what difference it makes  :?

blacktiger

Quote from: "Chris Canning"You on about rattles(digress) because of the amount of fuel I get through I have a Shell card to collect points,have a mail come the other day telling me how many,and then a thing you can click on tells you what Shell oil to use in your bike,click on Triumph the 955 Tiger shows me 15/50w,I've used Shell for years but it ain't that,it's been 10/40 for what difference it makes  :?

I've always (well since 2002) been surprised/worried that the owners handbook says 10W/40 and yet the dealers always put 15W/50 in during all the services I've paid for.

As for your rattle John. Does it go away when the clutch is pulled? If so it's nothing to worry about. It's just the clutch springs. Even though, on the 955 I didn't notice it until about the 20K mark my new 800 does it.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

blacktiger

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "Mustang"there is no adjustment you can do the tensioner does it automatically ...........the only thing you can do is replace the chain and tensioner blades when things get too loose (beyond what the tensioner is capable of )

Which should be more than 21k miles FFS  :BangHead

Hmmmm. 21K from 2005? Probably lack of use John. Ha ha ha! :twisted:
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.