News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Boot Time

Started by Nick Calne, March 10, 2012, 10:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

The old TCX / Oxtar boots have now done circa 10 years service and are getting a little tired....  Everyone's got a favourite pair like that right? It  hurts but you got to move on etc...

I'm looking for a pair of boots that:

- Ride in comfortably (obviously)

- I can walk off road in.  Bike n' hike.

- Wear at work on the odd occasion I forget my normal shoes without looking like I dress up as Darth Vader at the weekend.  (Yes, I know I do, but that's our secret, I don't want everyone to know...)

Any suggestion o' wise ones?  

I'm giving some thought to picking up some Altbergs when we do the UK meet...

http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/motorcycle_BoregoHighBandog.jsp  But they look a bit 'summer only'

maybe something like...

http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/motorcycle_HoggUltra.jsp
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

The Midnight Rambler

Nick
Just treated myself to a pair of Hogg Microlites having visited the factory when up that way. Friends have had different models for years and swear by them.
My first impressions are very good. excellent build quality and comfort but they do need breaking in and mine are still a bit stiff. Also they are a tad taller than your average m/c boot so you may have to adjust the gear lever, although I haven't bothered yet so its not a huge difference. Be aware they make to order so expect a month or twos wait.
Overall very pleased, they feel like they will be very good for riding and walking and if others are to be believed they stay waterproof.
P.S. Richmond is a good stop off if anyone is thinking about runs out from the meet. Hope to be there.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
― Hunter S. Thompson

MarkShelley

TCX Infinity are great boots and very comfy for walking in.
As far as wearing at work is concerned, I just leave a pair of shoes at work.
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

BigDan

Those altbergs are apparently the absolute bee's knees!!
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

metalguru

Got a pair of Altbergs for wearing on longer journeys and can't fault them, didn't let any water in when fording last year!

For all other uses as walk about 4 miles a day at work, and for commute to work, use these

http://store.drmartens.co.uk/p-6643-dr- ... -boot.aspx

They were brilliant in a crash and the steel toe cap saved my toes. They seem to be very water resistant too, as well as being light and very comfy.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

NeilD

just bought another pair of 'German Para Boots'... the ones I got this time are slightly higher than the previous pair, nice and comfy and i waterproof mine with Mars oil, or similar.. sizing can be a bit odd (they seem to be up to 1 size bigger than advertised!) and because they're military surplus its luck of the draw what you get - most recent pair were unworn I'd say..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130628409288

BigDan

Quote from: "metalguru"They were brilliant in a crash and the steel toe cap saved my toes.

Hate to throw a spanner in the works, but they say you shouldn't wear steel toe caps when biking, risk of them doing more damage than good! I did hear sometime last year of some poor bloke in the US who had his toes cut clean off by the lip of his steel caps.
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

Mustang

Quote from: "BigDan"Hate to throw a spanner in the works, but they say you shouldn't wear steel toe caps when biking, risk of them doing more damage than good! I did hear sometime last year of some poor bloke in the US who had his toes cut clean off by the lip of his steel caps.
If you believe that hogwash I have a bridge I would like to sell you ..............

http://www.hanksclothing.com/blog/2010/ ... ct-or-myt/

Geoff W

My beloved bought me a pair of Alt Berg Roadrunners for Christmas. I can say that they are very warm and totally waterproof. They took a bit of getting used to as they are much more rigid than my previous boots, I get no "feel" from the rear brake. However once settled in  I cannot fault them. The staff at the , very busy, factory shop are excellent, if you visit them expect to spend a while there.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Tigertriple

How about a pair of these, Triumph Alpine Stars AS4 street boots

Triumph dealers were selling them for £50 down from £150.00. An excellent boot albeit they are short tops. They are very comfy for biking and walking.
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

Sin_Tiger

I have the AS4 for here, comfy, surprisingly rugged but not waterproof as you might expect from the fancy zip. Perfect for Singapore even of I did pay a bit more than 50 quid for them :roll:

Thanks for the DM link, I was just about to buy a new pair after some scrote nicked mine :evil:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

cosmo

I just bought AlpineStars, albeit mid-height. Great insulated boots, keep me toes toasty in 0ºC weather.

But, clumsy to walk in. Might get better with wear-in, not yet, though.
Still, great for fall-winter-spring. Summer might be too hot, I'll know soon.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "MarkShelley"TCX Infinity are great boots and very comfy for walking in.
As far as wearing at work is concerned, I just leave a pair of shoes at work.

+1 on these, wear them everyday for all year round commuting, general riding and touring. Been wearing my pair for 4 or 5 years and they have never leaked and are ok to walk in if you forget your shoes.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

PeteH

Those Triumph booties would be perfect for summer riding while wearing your shorts and T shirt :roll:
I feel vulnerable in my Docs just going for petrol, so for riding wear my Sidi Couriers...just broke em in after oooh 6 or 7 years :)
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "PeteH"Those Triumph booties would be perfect for summer riding while wearing your shorts and T shirt :roll:
I feel vulnerable in my Docs just going for petrol, so for riding wear my Sidi Couriers...just broke em in after oooh 6 or 7 years :)

No way, I don't ride an HD :roll:  I pushed the Steamer over my toes, now I don't go near her without boots.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint