News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Member introduction

Started by HamrenDan, April 25, 2012, 07:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HamrenDan

Hello all..  Dan Hamren here from Northern California.  I just bought a 1999 855 Tiger w/ 30K miles.  I picked it up in Santa Barbara for $2500,  at the time it ran great, no issues.. I had to let it sit for a week before I was able to get it.   loaded it up into the back of a pickup, and drove a couple of miles then pulled over to check the straps.  I noticed engine oil below the back of the motor.  WTH?  Ok lets not freak out.. Its dark, I can't see where it is coming from could it be the rear shock went bad.. The next day I unload it.. Battery is dead or dying.. Won't fire. Push start? Ok Attempts in vain in all gears downhill, it would only lock up the back tire.. Ok I will leave it at my dads in So. Cal until I have the chance to get it up here.  I text the PO he stated that the bike may have fallen over due to the rain and the side stand on a soft spot.  Ok I think crank case vents are loose.. Then I read the thing about not letting the engine fire in anything but the upright position.. So lucky for me the battery was dead I might have destroyed it.  SO now.. do you guys think i need to pull the spark plugs and turn it over with a fresh battery?  
Also I picked up a set of factory panniers on craigslist for a 955i model hoping that it would fit my 885.. Does anyone know if they will work?
The bike is getting a once over New chain and rings, brake pads front and rear, and am looking at tires but still deciding on if this is going to be off road or road biased, leaning off..
Thanks for your comments..
HamrenDan
1999 885 Tiger
Previous 99 955i Sprint ST

yamaha6

You definitely need to take the plugs out and turn it over to get any oil out of the cylinders,and whilst you have the air box off do the mod to the breather pipe.

PS Welcome

HamrenDan

Ok, I was finally able to get good look at the bike since buying it.  I tore off the tank and examined the intake, the left cylinder for sure has oil in it.  I didn't have a 5/8 spark plug socket on hand, so I bought one that does not work at O'Reilley auto parts.  Thick walled.. Need a Thin walled one.. Cycle Gear or Harbor Freight ( need to go there anyway for the chain rivet tool )
Ok.. Stop Re-asses the situation.. Ok.. Mount the hard panniers.  Done..
battery on the charger.  Done..
Need Glue for the side panel on the tank for the piece that broke in the hole.
Glue..Goop Automotive.. Super strong yet flexible..
Next.. Airbox Mod with breather delete.
after that.. New Tires ( need to buy ... what do you think of Shinko 705's?) New Chain and rings, brake pads ( have)
HamrenDan
1999 885 Tiger

Mustang

SHINKOS ARE FINE . ihave 705s on two tigers and ravens on my 17 inch rimmed tigger . :D

HamrenDan

I have the Cruz tools 5" thin wall in my bandit basket, but I am hoping to find something sooner..

Also.. look what I found in our warehouse.. Cool.. too bad its a Panther.. not a Tiger...
HamrenDan
1999 885 Tiger

HamrenDan

I opened up the airbox to find half an acorn shell, a bit of fur, and a small amount of motor oil.  I pulled the metal divider plate and drilled a few holes the decided to bin the whole thing, and put it back together sans plate.  So...am I going to get any water in there?
Next..my throttle seems very sticky, and will not snap back to place, should I be worried?
HamrenDan
1999 885 Tiger

BigDan

Check bar ends are not interfering with throttle, try lubing throttle cable.
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook