News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sidestand Strengthening Revisited after scary MOT

Started by MIMbox, May 22, 2012, 09:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIMbox

Hi Guys.
For the non UK folk, the MOT is the yearly legally required test done on vehicles here.
Last week I caught the MOT testers levering the front, then rear of the bike up to check play etc using the sidestand as the pivot and the opposing wheel wheel to lever.
I mentioned loudly that sidestands have been known to fail, and do they have insurance..
This led me to wonder, I wont get time to fit a centre stand this season, but how did those of you who strenghened your sidestands get on?. I have a good spare Stand to strenghen, but am interested in Who did what, and if it worked. Thanks in advance. Phil

rybes

be the last time i used that place. if they do that on an mot are they doin the job properly ? sounds like jesse james n his gang to me.
not had to strengthen me sidestand as i got a center stand i use. dont trust the side stand for long periods.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rf9rider

Most places i`ve used for MOT`s use that method to check the play in the wheels etc.

So glad i`ve got the centre stand on the Steamer :)

Rocinante

Mine gave in at some point in time many years ago. I straightened it back out  more than original, and got a welder to weld on a ca 15cm rod on the stand, with the bent part in the middle. Piece of cake for a welder I guess.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

BigDan

I use my sidestand to spin the bike round all the time...

As below in this vid by another guy on youtube;

Although, note that my bike is the Girly not the steamer, so I don't know if that makes a difference.
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook