News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1 year in, trouble on the horizon

Started by Holmann, June 23, 2012, 04:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdubya

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "BigDan"Yeah, read the can. It is a penetrating liquid dispersent

It disperses liquid, such as oil out of places. Such as O rings.

Close but not quite,
says moisture not liquid , as in water , which combined with heat and friction makes rust , which is the biggest detractor of M/C chains

from the wd 40 website

QuoteWD-40® Myths, Legends & Fun Facts

One thing we must do is correct any misinformation that may be harmful to either our consumers or our good name.  Specifically, the listing of incorrect and poorly defined ingredients and safety information.

Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.
Fact:
While the "W-D" in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product's formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

and the msds sheet lists petroleum oil as 25 % of the ingredients , which  is what kerosene ( paraffin) or diesel fuel is.

but everyone is free to use what they want , this is a sore topic like an oil thread or air filter thread , or which tire is best thread

opinions are like ...................well you know how the saying goes I think  :wink:  :wink:

Woops....ruffled some feathers there which certainly was not my intention BD. My apologies. Well said and thanks, Mustang. As previously stated, pick your cleaner and lube and diligently keep 'er clean no matter what it may be. Hoping your klunk goes away Holmann with something as easy as giving your drivetrain a good cleaning. Often best to start with the simple things, IMO.
06 Girly

Holmann

cdubya- Bike is a 2006 with 37k miles on it, 10 of which are mine. I lube every 200 miles or so with Motul factory line chain lube- most of my loop rides are around 100 miles, just works out that way.  I clean with Motul chain cleaner (the above discussion illustrates why a newbie sticks with something that says "chain cleaner" right on the can!).  When I bought the bike the chain was astonishingly filthy- Mustang reassured me that probably meant it was properly lubed reguarly, not to worry- I might have taken that ball & run with it a little too far, I don't think I've cleaned it in 3-4000 miles.  The teeth on the sprocket look OK to my untrained eye, but I can see where the links are wering into the sides of the sprocket.  The washer under the big 'ol nut is in rough shape, looks like someone tried to pry it off at one point.

Rub strip & chain block are intact, I cleaned out under the sprocket cover- took an hour, ended up with a flathead screwdriver scraping glops of sludge out- guess I'll be looking under there more often.  Filthy chain when I got it plus 10k without cleaning under there- I can see how that could be a problem.  Got 'er up to speed for 30 min & then went & played on the MSF range in the local tech school parking lot for an hour- problem gone!  If I can remember to bring a decent camera home I'll post a picture of the sprocket- always difficult to tell if something looks right when you've never seen a new one.

Thanks a million everyone- I work 60-70 hrs a week owning a business, plus family time- the bike is the only time I have to myself, I was not relishing the notion of losing that escape.

chairhead

Quote from: "Holmann"ended up with a flathead screwdriver scraping glops of sludge out

Ive got the very same sludge removal tool  :lol:

Quotethe bike is the only time I have to myself, I was not relishing the notion of losing that escape.

Amen to that Brother :wink:

Glad its sorted :thumbsup
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

cdubya

Good news and nice work Holmann.
Well stated. Riding is darned good therapy.
Ride on.
06 Girly

BigDan

Haha, i don't want you thinking you've ruffled any feathers! Didn't mean my post to come across so arsey! Sorry matey :P
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

Chad

Quote from: "Holmann"The washer under the big 'ol nut is in rough shape, looks like someone tried to pry it off at one point.

Not pryed off :wink:  its meant to be folded against
 the flat side of the nut as a fail safe for it coming undone  :qgaraduate  :D
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida