News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Accessory port is it a powerlet

Started by benebob, May 31, 2012, 11:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

Got a GPS today and realized that it isn't a standard cig. lighter accessory connection.  Did a search but didn't come up with the answer.  What do I need a powerlet adaptor or something else?
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

benebob

Any reason why the cheapest adapter to a USB plug would run me $45.  For that price I can buy 10 cig. lighters to install on there.  Ideas where to get one for a reasonable price quickly?
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

kiwijohn

Cab you use one of these, the get a "normal" USB to plug in?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hella-Standard- ... B0042EYTEI
Somerset, UK

benebob

Quote from: "kiwijohn"Cab you use one of these, the get a "normal" USB to plug in?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hella-Standard- ... B0042EYTEI
I can but then I have what 8 feet of cord to deal with and all the connections.  Still you're on the wrong side of the pond and that isn't gonna help me for the trip next week.  All the sellers stateside want $25-75 for the same thing you posted there.  I know the dollar is weak but it isn't that weak against the pound.  :lol:
13 Tiger 800

jnutiger

2006 Tiger

2doggs

Powerlet sells cig lighter adapters (or AC adapters for the young folks) for dirt cheap.  I bought two, and a cheap usb adapter at Best Buy.

Spend the $24.  

http://www.powerlet.com/product/rigid-powerlet-to-cigarette-socket-adapter/427

Forget my post....I completely misread your post. :BangHead
2002 Tiger
2006 Speed Triple

benebob

Did end up spending the $24 for cheap plastic crap.  I just can't get why it is so expensive.  

Works so all is good.  Just a little poorer.

Thanks
13 Tiger 800

TigerTrax

Quit screwin around ... go to Eastern Beaver.com for all electrical connections, adapters, power plugs, harnesses, switches.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

ADVRiderinVA

I have been doing the same thing for over a year.  I'm too cheap to buy a "motorcycle GPS" so I use my Garmin NUVI 765.  I would plug the adapter into the A/C adapter and then plug my GPS into it.  I would then route the wires, connections etc.  What a pain.

I recently went to OverStock.com and found a 12VAC Mini-USB harness that I wired directly to my Aux. power strip and then ran the cable under the tank and straight to the location of where I place the Garmin.  It's now clean looking and I don't have to swap cables from the car to the bike.  I paid $16 shipping included for the harness.

Good Luck.
11 Tiger 800XC - Love It!!!!
04 955i Tiger (Sold)
07 DL1000 (Sold)

Sin_Tiger

I hacked a 4 quid car USB adaptor into my last tank bag and used it for charging / powering just about everything gadgety I have, except my camera, worked a treat. I included a flexi LED strip round the upper rear part of the rim so I could see where all my crap was during night stops.

Sold the  bag with the bike as the new buyer was very keen, so I'll be doing that again with the new bag.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint